Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach

I'm in the process of slamming my pool and having trouble with the correct bleach to use. Purchased Great Value brand at Walmart and other than scented/ concentrated they had what is labeled at Cleaning Bleach. I used the amount suggested by pool math and doubled the FC that it should have brought me to for shock level. Running out to buy more bleach but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.
    13,541k g, AG, SHarkline Heritage 24', Hydromax AC DE95 Filter, Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach

Is there a % hypochlorite listed on the bottle?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Cleaning bleach has been reported as only 3 or 4%. you need to adjust the % in pool math.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dbustamante00 View Post
    I'm in the process of slamming my pool and having trouble with the correct bleach to use. Purchased Great Value brand at Walmart and other than scented/ concentrated they had what is labeled at Cleaning Bleach. I used the amount suggested by pool math and doubled the FC that it should have brought me to for shock level. Running out to buy more bleach but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.
    Weird. Must have been out of the regular, concentrated bleach. BTW concentrated is fine, just make sure there is no additives like scents and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if the gallons of pool volume is off?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

It says 6% sodium hypochlorite on the bottle. So I can use concentrated? My pool is only full about an inch past the skimmer. How full should it be? Silly question I guess.

5. Back To Top    #5

The concentrated is just the higher percentage. 8.25%.
    Clorox decided at some point to make the bottles smaller (121oz instead of 128oz) and change the concentration to 8.25% from 6%.
    They probably raised the price too for the new "concentrated" stuff!

Most of the store brands followed along. Marketing. Gotta love it.

Great value just recently brought back the 128oz 6% and called it "cleaning bleach".
    The 8.25% is usually the better value though. (as long as it's not splashless or scented)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok great! Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I be pouring the bleach into the skimmer or directly into the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Should I be pouring the bleach into the skimmer or directly into the pool?
    Directly into the pool but fairly slow in front of a return stream so it mixes quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

This explains how to add chemicals: Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool is now cloudy and almost clear. No more green. Now there are what seems like bands of cloudy yellow lingering in the pool. Any idea what this could be?
    Last edited by Dbustamante00; 08-08-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Not finished typing

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like dead or dying algae. Are you brushing daily? Scrubbed under ladders? Lights? Keep SLAMing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

FC level dropped from 15 to 12 over night and CC level remains at 1. Still SLAMing but have to leave the pool for the day. Any suggestions on what I can do before leaving so I'm not undoing all that I've done the past several days? Feels like the pool is never going to get to where it needs to be. My CYA level is at 39. Once I add more bleach to increase FC to 15 to maintain shock level it's just going to fall while gone all day. Pool is in full sun during mid day.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You can always put extra in. It will get used by the sun quicker but that's better than it dropping too far while you're gone.

- - - Updated - - -

You can always put extra in. It will get used by the sun quicker but that's better than it dropping too far while you're gone. According to extended chart, you are safe up to 23ppm for short periods of time.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

If you have an Ocean State Job lots near you they have 12.5% full Gallons for $2.99, sometimes less.- It's sold as 'liquid shock'
    Find Us - Ocean State Job Lot
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

15. Back To Top    #15

I was going to start a thread on this and have been researching bleaches on the forum. That turned a 15 minute trip to Wal Mart into an hour plus as I was pulling MSDS sheets on different brands.

Many bleaches had a range and stated that due to trade secrets the exact percentage can not be given.

My conclusion - if I am going to pay ~$2 per bottle for something that has a range of 1-4 or even 1-6 % chlorine I might as well go to the dreaded pool store and get the $4/128oz 12.5% mixture. Plus I will have a more accurate time using pool math.

Matt in San Antonio
    10,000 gallon IG plaster
    Pentair Intelliflow 2VS 3hp 3/4 hp booster pump
    Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter
    Sunluway 18w Color changing led light

16. Back To Top    #16

Walmart bleach turns over so fast that it is at least the 6 or 8.25% ... sometimes higher if it is fresh.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Walmart bleach turns over so fast that it is at least the 6 or 8.25% ... sometimes higher if it is fresh.
    Is that the Great Value brand or Wal mart brand?

Both are WM branding neither had % on bottle. Where are you getting your numbers?

Matt in San Antonio
    10,000 gallon IG plaster
    Pentair Intelliflow 2VS 3hp 3/4 hp booster pump
    Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter
    Sunluway 18w Color changing led light

18. Back To Top    #18

Great Value ... and I have never not seen the % listed on the bottle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Left is target store brand "up & up". Right is walmart store brand "great value" (concentrated not "cleaning bleach" label)

This is how they are labeled in Virginia Beach and all of Hampton Roads Virginia area.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

20. Back To Top    #20

I use Target Up & Up, Walmart Great Value, and Chlorox. All of them are labeled with the percent. But I have noticed that "easy pour", splashless, scented, etc. are not labeled with the percentage, but of course no one should be using these in their pool.

In general, I'd say if it's not labeled, then don't buy it.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast