Aug 7, 2015
Katy Texas
My skimmer does not seem to be working very good, I am using a net to clear surface debris. I notice the opening is large around 3-4 inches of water entering the skimmer. Shouldn't there be a weir or something to reduce the area of skimming to around 1/2 inch? I think the opening is too large for the skimmer to work. Am I correct or is there something else I can check. If I am correct can I lodge a piece of 2x4 in to narrow the skimming?

Welcome to TFP.

First tell us more about your pool? Is it In ground, Above ground?

Placing a 2x4 in the skimmer won't solve the problem and may create a worse problem. The weir doors in a pool are hinged on the bottom and have a float in them so they stay just under the surface. Whatever you place in there will need to do the same thing.

They sell replacement as well as universal weirs. Your best bet is to look in the skimmer throat and find out which type and size you need and get one as close to original as possible.

Keep in mind that some older pools didn't have weirs. You can still install a universal unit in those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.