Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine

Just moved in to a 1973 house with a pool. What is the best chlorine to use? I have been using Clorox concentrate(1 gallon to 30k H2O) with positive results but it only last a day or so. I get to 4 ppm today but tomorrow it will be 1 ppm again. Is it necessary to add clorox everyday? Should I use some other chlorine? I am also adding acid (3 pints to 30k H2O) to bring Ph down about once a week. The pool was resurfaced/repaired last winter.
    Turtleman

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine

Chlorine is all the same, at least when it comes to bleach. It's all sodium hypochlorite. Buy the best deal you can find and check the expiration/manufacture dates on the bottles. Old bleach is weak bleach as it loses strength over time. I buy 12.5% pool shock (bleach) because it's the best deal and I have to carry around less bottles and dispose of them. Just make sure it's not scented or outdoor or splashless bleach. To figure out the best deal, take the price, divided by the number of ounces then multiply by the percentage. Example of my sweet deal: $2 for 128 ounces of 12.5% bleach. $2.00/128*12.5 = $0.195 per ounce hypochlorite. Lower is obviously better.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

We could really use a complete list of your pool and equipment. Also what test kit are you using? You need to know your CYA level to know where your FC should be and how it's going to act in the sun.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Here are a couple of articles from Pool School to get you started.
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP congrats on your new pool. You will definitely find lots of help here
    6280 Gal Intex 17' x 52" Metal Frame AG
    2500 GPH Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal clear SWG
    Taylor K-2005 With FAS-DPD Drop TEST KIT And Speedstir
    Intex Robot Pool Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Terrellhome View Post
    What is the best chlorine to use?
    Whatever is cheapest (considering both cost and strength).

I have been using Clorox concentrate(1 gallon to 30k H2O) with positive results but it only last a day or so. I get to 4 ppm today but tomorrow it will be 1 ppm again. Is it necessary to add clorox everyday?
    Clorox is fine, but kinda pricey. The store brands work as well and cost less per unit of chlorine. The short answer? Expect to put chlorine in every day, maybe twice.

Should I use some other chlorine?
    You don't need to.

I am also adding acid (3 pints to 30k H2O) to bring Ph down about once a week.
    OK, not enough information.

You need a good test kit, like the Taylor K-2006C, if you don't have one. Then we need to look at your water chemistry as a whole, before we can advise on pH, TA, and CH.

7. Back To Top    #7

All the other test results are at or close to ideal. I had an above ground salt water pool before moving here and am not use to dealing with chlorine. Sounds like adding chlorine daily or every other day is what I need to be doing. Thanks for the tips on buying and adding chems.
    Turtleman

8. Back To Top    #8

All the other test results are at or close to ideal. I had an above ground salt water pool before moving here and am not use to dealing with chlorine. Sounds like adding chlorine daily or every other day is what I need to be doing. Thanks for the tips on buying and adding chems.
    Daily testing and additions are best. With automation like your SWG or my Stenner pump you can stretch out the testing intervals because you know it's getting its daily diet of chlorine.

Just be sure to use a quality/accurate test kit, not strips and stay away from most pool store testing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm sorry but telling us chemicals are ideal does not give us enough information to help you. The TFP version of "ideal" is different from the standard pool industry notion of "ideal". If you could post the test results we could let you know if the chemistry is good or if there are levels that need adjusting.

I don't know if you are new to the Houston metro area or not, but this summer has been unusually hot and dry since mid-June and folks around here are adding more chlorine more often this year.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!