Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of dirt in the pool, do anything special?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of dirt in the pool, do anything special?

They are finally building my rock waterfall and in the process a significant amount of dirt has gone into the pool. I have been staying on top of cleaning it out but was wondering if I should adjust my chemicals to account for this.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of dirt in the pool, do anything special?

Probably not much you can do chemically at this time. Cleaning-up the bulk/residual dirt and debris is a great start. If you were really concerned about the additional stress (chlorine consumption) placed on the water, you could take your FC up a few notches just to be safe. Otherwise, continue to test and adjust your water like normal and you should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

When they were adjusting my waterfall I was getting their leftover dirt washed into the pool when the waterfall started.
    Other than being dirty, which I vacuumed up, I didn't notice any additional chemical stress,
    I guess a lot is inorganic (sand and rock dust) so as long as you vacuum after it settles out, you shouldn't have anything out of the norm to worry about.
    Now if you left that stuff in the pool for a week, I'm sure it would provide a great nucleus for algae to build upon.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. That's basically what I did. As soon as the finished yesterday I vacuumed as much up as my limited light would allow. This morning I saw that I did a pretty good job at that and I kicked the chlorine up a couple of notches just as a bit of security. Thanks for the advice.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100