I'm new! I don't know what to do!

Aug 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Hi there everybody. My name is Curtis and I am new to the forum. I saw that it was recommended to introduce myself so here we go. I bought a 30-year-old house 3 years ago that has a pool that was supposedly built in 2006. At the time, I knew nothing about how to maintain a pool but I'm a quick learner. Also, I have a solid understanding of general water chemistry because of my line of work. I hired a "pool professional" for the first summer after we moved in so that I could observe and learn. After being pretty unsatisfied with the services provided, I decided it was time for me to take the reigns. There was a learning curve for sure but I eventually got a handle on it after making several mistakes and having to drain the pool once. However, I'm a big fan of the saying "The more you know, the more you realize you don't know" so I am here to continue learning what I haven't already. And I am still trying to figure out how edit my signature.

Another Texas joins the ranks! Welcome. As you poke-around the site, you may find everything you need. Just in case, here's a couple common links to keep handy:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

And you can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

If you ever have any questions, just shout at us. Have a nice weekend.

HI there! Nice to meet you! So glad to see you are reading and learning already!

You say in your siggy you cannot "afford ozone" Wellllllllll you do NOT want ozone! It is not a good thing. The TFP way is MUCH better. I will let you search for find some threads about it. Look of Chem Geek's (we LOVE Chem Geek) post about it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support