Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm new! I don't know what to do!

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm new! I don't know what to do!

Hi there everybody. My name is Curtis and I am new to the forum. I saw that it was recommended to introduce myself so here we go. I bought a 30-year-old house 3 years ago that has a pool that was supposedly built in 2006. At the time, I knew nothing about how to maintain a pool but I'm a quick learner. Also, I have a solid understanding of general water chemistry because of my line of work. I hired a "pool professional" for the first summer after we moved in so that I could observe and learn. After being pretty unsatisfied with the services provided, I decided it was time for me to take the reigns. There was a learning curve for sure but I eventually got a handle on it after making several mistakes and having to drain the pool once. However, I'm a big fan of the saying "The more you know, the more you realize you don't know" so I am here to continue learning what I haven't already. And I am still trying to figure out how edit my signature.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm new! I don't know what to do!

Welcome to TFP! I saw your other post and suppose your background has taught you about THM's and CC. Enjoy the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! The knowledge, support and willingness to help here go way above and beyond! Your pool will be spectacular.
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Another Texas joins the ranks! Welcome. As you poke-around the site, you may find everything you need. Just in case, here's a couple common links to keep handy:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Poolmath calculator
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

And you can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

If you ever have any questions, just shout at us. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I finally figured out the signature thing. Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

6. Back To Top    #6

getting your information to show up in the signature line will be the hardest part of taking care of your pool...
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

HI there! Nice to meet you! So glad to see you are reading and learning already!

You say in your siggy you cannot "afford ozone" Wellllllllll you do NOT want ozone! It is not a good thing. The TFP way is MUCH better. I will let you search for find some threads about it. Look of Chem Geek's (we LOVE Chem Geek) post about it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't worry that you don't have the ozone. For an outdoor residential pool it would have been a waste of money.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

wjr75, you are right about the waste of money! I use ozone at work a lot to sanitize water and it's so easy.
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    Don't worry that you don't have the ozone. For an outdoor residential pool it would have been a waste of money.
    I was about to write that, but then saw he also has a spa, and the ozonator could be useful for that. But for the cost, you can maintain just fine without it.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir