Calcium Stain Removal

Aug 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm currently fighting my first battle with some black algae spots which is how I found the forum, but I also have a lot of white stains around the water line of the pool which I believe to be calcium. I'm wondering what is the best way to remove the white. I have experimented with a few methods that I have found with previous research and have had mixed results. First, I tried the recycled glass "pumice" stones to scrub the tile line. That didn't really do anything. I have used a 50/50 mix of water/muriatic acid applied with an insecticide sprayer and it worked very well with the few spots of white build up where it actually becomes raised up from the surface (3-dimensional). However, that treatment doesn't seem to affect the smooth (you can't feel it) white stains on the tile around the pool at the water line. I tried some Leslie's scale remover that is basically muriatic acid in gel form that you apply with a brush. It foamed up like it was reacting with calcium but when rinsed and dried, it was more white than it was but it looked different. I then used the pumice stone on that and it's a lot better. Also one side of my pool is a very porous stone at the water line so it can't be cleaned like the ceramic tile. Muriatic acid will actually just eat away pretty quickly at the stone since it has a high iron content (assumed from the color). Oh and it's a chlorine pool. Long story long, it looks terrible. Any help?

P.S.-How do I edit my signature? I've read that I need to add my equipment info there.

I've had pretty good results with cleaning my tile line with a combination of a pumie and MA. I first use a tooth brush and dip into a cup of 14% MA and scrub it on the scale line. Then I get the Pumie and scrub away. Each Pumie lasts me about 5 or 6 tiles until it's completely disintegrated. I buy them at the $.99 store so at a buck each it's fine. Home Depot sells the same thing for over twice that.

http://www.uspumice.com/images/products_scouring-stick.jpg

This is for tile. Not sure about stone, haven't tried it yet on my ledger stone around my spill way yet. This area is not as bad as my tile line so I'll have to try and find out sooner or later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.