Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Stain Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Stain Removal

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm currently fighting my first battle with some black algae spots which is how I found the forum, but I also have a lot of white stains around the water line of the pool which I believe to be calcium. I'm wondering what is the best way to remove the white. I have experimented with a few methods that I have found with previous research and have had mixed results. First, I tried the recycled glass "pumice" stones to scrub the tile line. That didn't really do anything. I have used a 50/50 mix of water/muriatic acid applied with an insecticide sprayer and it worked very well with the few spots of white build up where it actually becomes raised up from the surface (3-dimensional). However, that treatment doesn't seem to affect the smooth (you can't feel it) white stains on the tile around the pool at the water line. I tried some Leslie's scale remover that is basically muriatic acid in gel form that you apply with a brush. It foamed up like it was reacting with calcium but when rinsed and dried, it was more white than it was but it looked different. I then used the pumice stone on that and it's a lot better. Also one side of my pool is a very porous stone at the water line so it can't be cleaned like the ceramic tile. Muriatic acid will actually just eat away pretty quickly at the stone since it has a high iron content (assumed from the color). Oh and it's a chlorine pool. Long story long, it looks terrible. Any help?

P.S.-How do I edit my signature? I've read that I need to add my equipment info there.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Stain Removal

To edit your signature, click on "Settings" near the upper right and then under "My Settings on the left column click on "Edit Signature".
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it! Thanks!
    Curtis- 20k gallon IG gunnite/plaster with hot tub/waterfall and "grotto"
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

4. Back To Top    #4

Any suggestions on the calcium scale removal from the stone?
    All Jandy equipment: 60sqft DE filter - 399k btu natural gas heater - Stealth pumps - iAquaLink RS8.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.
    TF-100 in da house/TFP method in effect: FC=4-6, pH=7.5, TA=80, CH=250, CYA=50, Borate=50, CSI=-0.21

5. Back To Top    #5

I've had pretty good results with cleaning my tile line with a combination of a pumie and MA. I first use a tooth brush and dip into a cup of 14% MA and scrub it on the scale line. Then I get the Pumie and scrub away. Each Pumie lasts me about 5 or 6 tiles until it's completely disintegrated. I buy them at the $.99 store so at a buck each it's fine. Home Depot sells the same thing for over twice that.

http://www.uspumice.com/images/produ...ring-stick.jpg

This is for tile. Not sure about stone, haven't tried it yet on my ledger stone around my spill way yet. This area is not as bad as my tile line so I'll have to try and find out sooner or later.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

That's pretty much the best method I've found for the tile. The porous stone is another story.
    Polaris 9400 on patrol.