Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: regular Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

regular Bleach

A little nervous about adding bleach for the first time to my above ground pool. I want to make sure it won't stain my liner!?!?! Also, where do I add it? Near the return jet? I have Great Value Bleach...it says Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25% Other ingredients 91.85% is this okay to use?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: regular Bleach

Absolutely.

Your free chlorine level from bleach or any other form of chlorine would have to be enormously high to fade or bleach out your liner. Far, far higher than any level we ever suggest using. Once dissolved or mixed in water, all forms of Chlorine are indentical. Chlorine is a natural Element, and It's just packaged in different forms. Anyone that says otherwise, simply does not understand basic chemistry.

Welcome to TFP BTW...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Pour it S.L.O.W.L.Y in front of a return that has been angled toward the surface a bit. Going on 6 years here now and liner is stain/fade free. The sun is a lot worse enemy for fading!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your reply! How/where do I add it?

5. Back To Top    #5

Pour it in, slowly, in front of a return line... one of the jets. The idea is to let the rapidly moving water swirl and move the concentrated bleach. Bleach is quite heavy and will go to the floor of the pool if not stirred in some manner. It could also be an excuse to brush the floor of the pool (that never hurts) I have a 3 gallon bucket and I dilute my chlorine with water before taking it to the pool. That isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better....

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Kelly, They told you correctly how to do it. Don't be nervous. Remember your pool is bigger than the wash machine you pour the bleach into
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    I have a 3 gallon bucket and I dilute my chlorine with water before taking it to the pool. That isn't necessary, but it makes me feel better....
    This is almost the exact technique that I use. I take my 5 gallon bucket, and fill it with about 3-4 gallons of water. I then pour in bleach. I will put in about 24 ounces per bucket. I then slowly dumb that diluted bucket in front of a return. As soon as the bucket is empty, I quickly drop the 5 gallon bucket into the water, fill it, then pour it back into the pool, repeating once or twice. By rapidly filling adn pouring the bucket with pool water, I create a lot of waves int eh pool, so it gets the bleach mixed up.

I know this is overkill, but that is my style.

If you want to pour bleach directly in, pour it slowly in front of a return that is turned ON. But dont pour it at the edge of the pool, so that the bleach sits right on the liner. Reach your arm out, and pour the bleach a few feet away from the walls. Well, as far as yoru arm will reach AND you feel comfortable that you will not fall into the pool.

With either technique, add the bleach in front of the return that is in the deepest end of the pool. Bleach is heavy and will sink, so if your return is in 3 feet of water, then the bleach might reach teh floor. BUt if the return is in 6 feet fo water, if is less likley to bottom out and sit on the bottom of the pool.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I pour mine in front of my return jets, I also hold the bottle mostly submerged in the water, this makes it easier for me to pour without splashing any around.

Type: IG Vynal
    Size: ~ 22,000 GAL
    Filter: Sand - Hayward S244T Pro Series w/ 1HP Hayward Pump