Melbourne, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm pretty thorough when it comes to treating my pool, but these past 2 weeks left me to question my abilities. I had an elusive problem where my chlorine levels were tanking to near zero ppm! Hoping to nip this problem in the bud, I went to the pool school page and went through the regimen of shocking & brushing my pool several times and cleaning my DE filter. After the passing of a week or so, the chlorine levels started tanking once again! I was wondering what the heck is getting into the pool to cause such a thing? So I installed a skimmer sock to see if there were "things" making their way into the DE filter. After inspecting my skimmer sock 24 hours later, it was loaded with very tiny insects small enough to make it through my screened pool enclosure! Appears that this was enough of an organic load to bring my SWCG to its knees! It was the first time in 4 years that this has ever happened, I am a firm believer in using skimmer socks ... now I can set my SWCG to a lower setting too and hopefully extend the SWCG's usefulness too

Cheers!

KARL

I cannot say enough good about skimmer socks. I refuse to run without them. I've found some great ones on Amazon for a about buck apiece, and I'm getting a month or more out of them. I can't prove it yet, but I firmly believe they will extend the time between deep cleaning a sand filter, and I know they cut down on back washing. In terms of how much easier they make cleaning the pump strainer they are worth it for this alone.

I started using a fine mesh skimmer sock this season and I was very impressed with how much junk it collected. During the high pollen season when the mesquite and Palo Verde pollen is falling like rain, I would routinely empty anywhere from 1-2 pounds of organic debris (including beetles and cinch bug nymphs) out of the sock. All I could think to my self was that I am surely glad all the organic debris did not make it to my filter!

Now the mesquite bean pods are killing me but those I get with the lead rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lead Rake!! Oh My!! :poke:

Ugh!!! I have fat fingers and that just does not work on an iPhone. Not to mention Apple auto spell which gets me all the time.

I hit submit and then had to go back to change "skinny sick" to "skimmer sock"!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.