Need help

Aug 7, 2015
Durban
Hi. I have just moved into a new home with a large 12m pool and 90 000L. The pool is very old and the floor and walls have extreme ruff patched. There is further algae that grows on these ruff patches. I am not sure which colour it is though. Since we moved in two weeks ago a pool guy came around and gave the pool a boost with 1 container of Blue 52 (for 50 000L pools) and put entire bottle in. He further put in a bottle of Zodiac Alcidine again for 50 000L pools, 4 bags of HTH Stabilizer and 400g of Soda Ash. The pool water is nice and clear but the patches is still anywhere. At first glance it looked dark brownish / black. The past two days I have been brushing the patches with a hard algae brush and managed to get a lot of it off, and the remainder now seems to be a light brownish colour and is still stuck. I have also bought a 4 in 1 tester kit and tested the water levels. Chlorine level was at 3 and PH level at 7.2. (not sure about other levels). What more can I do to get rid of these patches and keep it from coming back. Please HELP

Hello and congratulations on your new home/pool. If you still suspect you have algae in your pool, there may be a problem with balancing chlorine and stabilizer at the proper levels. IN addition, you may need to do what we call "SLAM" which is maintaining a higher shock level with liquid bleach. Here are two links that should help you get started:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You will at some point also need these pages to help you understand what your FC (free chlorine) level should be in relation to your CYA (stabilizer)
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Do you have a good test kit? We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 which can be obtained from here at TFTestkits.net, although I'm not sure if you can have them shipped t your location. Let us know if you have any problems or questions. Welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.