My findings on how not all sand is created equal

May 16, 2015
Killeen, Texas
Ok well today I finally got all my parts from Intex to fix my problem I was having with my sand filter. Here is a link to that thread which I will update as well http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/101906-New-Pool-Intex-Customer-Service-Long-Post-lol

So basically for the sake of this thread I searched for Quikrete Pool sand and found no negative reviews and even found where people said it works just fine for their filters and Intex specifically. Well after spending 2 weeks waiting on parts (read the above thread) and cleaning almost 50lbs of sand out of my pool over the course of a month I see why it was happening and why all sand isn't created equal.

The sand I originally bought was $5.xx a bag from Home Depot for 50lbs and is the Quikrete brand "pool filter sand" the sand I have now was purchased from Ace hardware and is HTH and was $12.xx for 50lbs.

Below are pictures and you will see why the sand just blew threw the laterals and into my pool.

9dc1d8040a6115b9d06d3df12f11ecd9.jpg

93dcf1bebb2c1f8f67ba78b680fc4bae.jpg

a7a4116f4a0a27e2db8bffeb7c53d38d.jpg

86de9e88803e1bc71106f2347b2010aa.jpg

65ca8d5589a6228619657354a1b842ce.jpg

74084f7ffd9c25fbac5ed41bbf1656b7.jpg

90173f696da4c6cda57f55aa2f9e777c.jpg

b5164e740b4810e3448e362cda73fa67.jpg

17f798e0153039d5f0fdea82523d446e.jpg

As you can see the difference is ridiculous. The pressure in my pool has increased greatly. My filter works so much better now too. Hopefully this helps someone out. The sand cost a bit more but works so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99taws6,

I believe they inadvertently put the wrong sand in the bag. That means they likely have others out there.

I would sent to them your well documented photos and ask for reasonable reimbursement for your time and materials.

I think you have a perfectly valid case and they need to know they have put out some bogus product.

Thank you for posting that. I hope you pursue that with Quikrete. They are a huge company and, if you connect with the right person, I think they will make you whole. Keep us posted if you pursue.

Last year when I installed a new sand filter, I almost bought the Quikrete brand pool sand. I don't recall if it was here at TFP or elsewhere but I saw enough negative reviews to make my pause and buy the HTH sand through my local Ace Hardware. Glad I did. I would hope this is a manufacturing mistake and not what they are claiming is pool sand. You should CERTAINLY pursue it with Quikrete customer service.

99taws6,

I believe they inadvertently put the wrong sand in the bag. That means they likely have others out there.

I would sent to them your well documented photos and ask for reasonable reimbursement for your time and materials.

I think you have a perfectly valid case and they need to know they have put out some bogus product.

Thank you for posting that. I hope you pursue that with Quikrete. They are a huge company and, if you connect with the right person, I think they will make you whole. Keep us posted if you pursue.

I bought 4 bags over the course of 3 separate visits. 2 bags were from 2 separate stores. I find it hard to believe they filled with the wrong stuff I have an unopened bag to return as we speak.

I will try to call and contact someone or at least send a well worded email

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As shown in this technical info document for Quikrete filter sand it is supposed to be U.S. Sieve Size 20-40 which corresponds to particles smaller than 0.85 mm and larger than 0.425 mm. So they clearly put the wrong type of sand in that bag.

Well it's not 1 bag. It's 5 bags that I purchased total and I just looked over 3 pallets when I took a bag back for a refund and this is what they all have in common

5f0c50e9216a6d02d70746bf3163b1a7.jpg

It's not as fine as play sand but nothing like pull sand. I'll be calling Quikrete to ask what to do with the 200lbs I have sitting in my yard.

It's the same. Remember this is unwashed. I'll take a picture of the stuff at home in my hand when I get home. This pic was right at Home Depot front the back of my truck before I returned it.

The difference is like pebbles to boulders. It's no comparison.

My sand looks just as fine as your Quickcrete sand, and I have sand blowing into my pool every time the pump comes on. I bought the sand from a pool store and the bag was white and said pool sand. Did you have sand blowing into pool also? Maybe this is the answer for me too! I do not have any big chunks like in the HTH sand pics.

My sand looks just as fine as your Quickcrete sand, and I have sand blowing into my pool every time the pump comes on. I bought the sand from a pool store and the bag was white and said pool sand. Did you have sand blowing into pool also? Maybe this is the answer for me too! I do not have any big chunks like in the HTH sand pics.

Yes I had sand all over my pool. I had almost 5" missing from inside of my filter by the time I changed it out.

Quikrete's web page says they have over 100 manufacturing facilities, I suspect several are sandpit operations as sand is heavy and therefore expensive to transport long distances, it could be that this bad sand is just coming from just one of them.

Quikrete's web page says they have over 100 manufacturing facilities, I suspect several are sandpit operations as sand is heavy and therefore expensive to transport long distances, it could be that this bad sand is just coming from just one of them.

Yes just like with my fish tanks some people are able to get aragonite based sand as play sand where all I can get is silica based. It just depends on the local sand. I'm sure the pallets that we have local here of pool sand were just not graded correctly and I'm hoping they make it right. I'm just glad it didn't cost me that much to figure the problem out and I hope that my discovery can save some work for others is all.

I contacted Quikrete and they reviewed their production records that show the sand gradation preominantly in the #20 to #40 mesh range so they would like the OP to conctact QUIKRETE® Technical Help phone number (800) 282-5828 (please ask for Tony). If you haven't contacted them yet, please do so.

Reactions: Awiens
I contacted Quikrete and they reviewed their production records that show the sand gradation preominantly in the #20 to #40 mesh range so they would like the OP to conctact QUIKRETE[emoji768] Technical Help phone number (800) 282-5828 (please ask for Tony). If you haven't contacted them yet, please do so.

I have called and left a message for Tony

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.