Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My findings on how not all sand is created equal

1. Back To Top    #1

My findings on how not all sand is created equal

Ok well today I finally got all my parts from Intex to fix my problem I was having with my sand filter. Here is a link to that thread which I will update as well http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Long-Post-lol

So basically for the sake of this thread I searched for Quikrete Pool sand and found no negative reviews and even found where people said it works just fine for their filters and Intex specifically. Well after spending 2 weeks waiting on parts (read the above thread) and cleaning almost 50lbs of sand out of my pool over the course of a month I see why it was happening and why all sand isn't created equal.

The sand I originally bought was $5.xx a bag from Home Depot for 50lbs and is the Quikrete brand "pool filter sand" the sand I have now was purchased from Ace hardware and is HTH and was $12.xx for 50lbs.

Below are pictures and you will see why the sand just blew threw the laterals and into my pool.

As you can see the difference is ridiculous. The pressure in my pool has increased greatly. My filter works so much better now too. Hopefully this helps someone out. The sand cost a bit more but works so much better.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My findings on how not all sand is created equal

Thank you for posting this! Interesting that the HTH is is a clear bag and the Qwikrete is in an opaque bag...

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Thank you for posting this! Interesting that the HTH is is a clear bag and the Qwikrete is in an opaque bag...
    You are welcome. Both have easy pour spouts that you could open and examine the sand but I never would have thought I needed to question it until now.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well doesn't appear to be any sand on the bottom of the pool after almost 24hrs so I do believe we have a winner!!

5. Back To Top    #5

At least it wasn't play-sand. For an adventure in what a disaster that can cause, read up here:

Helping a friend This should be a good one
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    I think I would always go with a HTH brand ( pool company ) then a concrete company brand.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

99taws6,

I believe they inadvertently put the wrong sand in the bag. That means they likely have others out there.

I would sent to them your well documented photos and ask for reasonable reimbursement for your time and materials.

I think you have a perfectly valid case and they need to know they have put out some bogus product.

Thank you for posting that. I hope you pursue that with Quikrete. They are a huge company and, if you connect with the right person, I think they will make you whole. Keep us posted if you pursue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Last year when I installed a new sand filter, I almost bought the Quikrete brand pool sand. I don't recall if it was here at TFP or elsewhere but I saw enough negative reviews to make my pause and buy the HTH sand through my local Ace Hardware. Glad I did. I would hope this is a manufacturing mistake and not what they are claiming is pool sand. You should CERTAINLY pursue it with Quikrete customer service.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    99taws6,

I believe they inadvertently put the wrong sand in the bag. That means they likely have others out there.

I would sent to them your well documented photos and ask for reasonable reimbursement for your time and materials.

I think you have a perfectly valid case and they need to know they have put out some bogus product.

Thank you for posting that. I hope you pursue that with Quikrete. They are a huge company and, if you connect with the right person, I think they will make you whole. Keep us posted if you pursue.
    I bought 4 bags over the course of 3 separate visits. 2 bags were from 2 separate stores. I find it hard to believe they filled with the wrong stuff I have an unopened bag to return as we speak.

I will try to call and contact someone or at least send a well worded email

10. Back To Top    #10

As shown in this technical info document for Quikrete filter sand it is supposed to be U.S. Sieve Size 20-40 which corresponds to particles smaller than 0.85 mm and larger than 0.425 mm. So they clearly put the wrong type of sand in that bag.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    As shown in this technical info document for Quikrete filter sand it is supposed to be U.S. Sieve Size 20-40 which corresponds to particles smaller than 0.85 mm and larger than 0.425 mm. So they clearly put the wrong type of sand in that bag.
    Well it's not 1 bag. It's 5 bags that I purchased total and I just looked over 3 pallets when I took a bag back for a refund and this is what they all have in common

It's not as fine as play sand but nothing like pull sand. I'll be calling Quikrete to ask what to do with the 200lbs I have sitting in my yard.

12. Back To Top    #12

that stuff in your hand looks bigger than the stuff in the side by side earlier. But, there wasn't a hand in those pictures so maybe the reference is throwing me.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

13. Back To Top    #13

It's the same. Remember this is unwashed. I'll take a picture of the stuff at home in my hand when I get home. This pic was right at Home Depot front the back of my truck before I returned it.

The difference is like pebbles to boulders. It's no comparison.

14. Back To Top    #14

My sand looks just as fine as your Quickcrete sand, and I have sand blowing into my pool every time the pump comes on. I bought the sand from a pool store and the bag was white and said pool sand. Did you have sand blowing into pool also? Maybe this is the answer for me too! I do not have any big chunks like in the HTH sand pics.
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by FunFinder View Post
    My sand looks just as fine as your Quickcrete sand, and I have sand blowing into my pool every time the pump comes on. I bought the sand from a pool store and the bag was white and said pool sand. Did you have sand blowing into pool also? Maybe this is the answer for me too! I do not have any big chunks like in the HTH sand pics.
    Yes I had sand all over my pool. I had almost 5" missing from inside of my filter by the time I changed it out.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quikrete's web page says they have over 100 manufacturing facilities, I suspect several are sandpit operations as sand is heavy and therefore expensive to transport long distances, it could be that this bad sand is just coming from just one of them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Quikrete's web page says they have over 100 manufacturing facilities, I suspect several are sandpit operations as sand is heavy and therefore expensive to transport long distances, it could be that this bad sand is just coming from just one of them.
    Yes just like with my fish tanks some people are able to get aragonite based sand as play sand where all I can get is silica based. It just depends on the local sand. I'm sure the pallets that we have local here of pool sand were just not graded correctly and I'm hoping they make it right. I'm just glad it didn't cost me that much to figure the problem out and I hope that my discovery can save some work for others is all.

18. Back To Top    #18

I contacted Quikrete and they reviewed their production records that show the sand gradation preominantly in the #20 to #40 mesh range so they would like the OP to conctact QUIKRETEŽ Technical Help phone number (800) 282-5828 (please ask for Tony). If you haven't contacted them yet, please do so.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

FWIW, I just put 300lbs of HTH sand from Ace Hardware in my filter, and no problems.
    -R
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    I contacted Quikrete and they reviewed their production records that show the sand gradation preominantly in the #20 to #40 mesh range so they would like the OP to conctact QUIKRETE Technical Help phone number (800) 282-5828 (please ask for Tony). If you haven't contacted them yet, please do so.
    I have called and left a message for Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast