Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Aqualink controller transformer bad, can I use standard door bell transformer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Jandy Aqualink controller transformer bad, can I use standard door bell transformer?

Hi,

My jandy Aqualink control panel stopped working all of a sudden. Fuse is fine and I tested 120v power coming into the transformer which is also fine. When I tested the 24v output on transformer it appears to be dead.

The original transformer is a jandy RO466400 which is 120v input and 24v output. Home Depot sells a "doorbell" transformer that is also 120v in and 24v out. Can I use this doorbell transformer instead of RO466400?

Thanks in advance!
    /PD (dreaming of Hawaii)
    19K gal indoor gunite pool; 120K BTU heater; Hayward brominator; an ancient Aquabot

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Jandy Aqualink controller transformer bad, can I use standard door bell transform

Maybe, you need to determine the Amps output of the transformer (sometimes referred to as VA (not to be confused with VAC)) with the requirements of the unit.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Jandy Aqualink controller transformer bad, can I use standard door bell transform

Thanks for the reply. The jandy transformer has a sticker that states 120v in, 240v out, 2.5amps. The door bell transformer is 120v in, 24v out, 20va.

Thanks
    /PD (dreaming of Hawaii)
    19K gal indoor gunite pool; 120K BTU heater; Hayward brominator; an ancient Aquabot

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by treepog View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The jandy transformer has a sticker that states 120v in, 240v out, 2.5amps. The door bell transformer is 120v in, 24v out, 20va.

Thanks
    That works out to 0.83 amps
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    That works out to 0.83 amps
    So...probably not.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history