Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pool going camo?? Green blotches on pool surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pool going camo?? Green blotches on pool surface

I have discoloration on the surface of the pool and has been there for over a year.. Can anybody help me identify what the problem that I should be fixing is? Pictures below. It feels like it's part of the concrete.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

FC - 3
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 70
    CH - ??
    CYA - Test Strip says 30-50 (after replacing half of the water)

Overview:
    IMG_0579.jpg

Closeup:
    IMG_0578.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pool going camo?? Green blotches on pool surface

Hello and welcome. Well, if your Cya is in fact 30 your target Fc is at the minimum 4 if its 50 your minimum is 6 so your low there. Your probably on the verge of a full blown algae bloom. Test strips are very unreliable for testing water. Your water looks a bit cloudy. Have you tried brushing it off? How are you chlorinating your pool? They could be metal stains or could be organic. Crush up some vitamin c tablets in a sock and rub it on the stain. Or drop one right on an area and let it dissolve. If the stain lifys its metal. If that doesn't work, try rubbing a chlorine puck directly on the stain to see if it removes it. If it does its organic. The first thing to do is get a proper test kit to get some real numbers on your water.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is my pool going camo?? Green blotches on pool surface

Quote Originally Posted by TrevNJPool View Post
    Hello and welcome. Well, if your Cya is in fact 30 your target Fc is at the minimum 4 if its 50 your minimum is 6 so your low there. Your probably on the verge of a full blown algae bloom. Test strips are very unreliable for testing water. Your water looks a bit cloudy. Have you tried brushing it off? How are you chlorinating your pool? They could be metal stains or could be organic. Crush up some vitamin c tablets in a sock and rub it on the stain. Or drop one right on an area and let it dissolve. If the stain lifys its metal. If that doesn't work, try rubbing a chlorine puck directly on the stain to see if it removes it. If it does its organic. The first thing to do is get a proper test kit to get some real numbers on your water.
    I normally use the smaller Taylor kit for testing, but it doesn't have the CYA test so used the test strips for that one. For chlorinating the pool, I recently changed to a SWG from a puck feeder. I've tried brushing with both a nylon and steel algae brush with no change.

Will try the vitamin-c in a sock..

Thanks!