Best practice with water flow

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I realized that I have never made adjustments to my returns and doing so could probably help optimize water flow and certain dead spots in the pool. Should all returns be pointed in the same direction to help with the pools cycle? I have a dead spot under a return and I was wondering about pointing it straight down to help move the debris that always builds up there.

Also what's the best method for turning the eyeballs? I've only tried with my hands so far and they don't budge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have mine pointing the same way to create a swirl towards skimmer. Plus I think it helps "clean" the sides. You can try pointing them downward to increase flow along the bottom. It's still circulating (still waters run deep, the old guys used to say)

As far as the eyeballs are concerned, I keep the rings holding the eyeballs in loose enough so the ring and ball are easy to turn. They tend to bind up over time

Counterclockwise or clockwise, whichever seems to best move surface debris to the skimmers. I recently decided to reverse my flow and had use channel locks on a few of them to get them moving.

My pool builder supplied a plastic tool that fits on the eyeball retaining ring and the other end fits inside the eyeball itself. I tighten the ring down so the eyeball is just tight enough so that I can move it with the tool inserted in the eyeball but not loose enough so it moves on its own.

I generally have my returns pointed so they make a counterclockwise water flow that leads to the skimmer. One of the returns points downward, the return that is furthest away from the skimmer points more towards the surface so it collects most of the surface debris, and the last return is pointed directly to the skimmer and towards the bottom of the pool where the skimmer is. With this setup I have water movement all through the different depths of the pool.

I was just searching for this topic earlier today, and found a repeat of the same advice about every two years.

My pool circulates in a CCW direction, dictated by its shape and return placements. There are three returns, two in the deep end and one in the shallow, but one return in the deep end has always puzzled me about it's location (almost next to a skimmer). Tomorrow I'm going to aim that one down. The other returns are placed and will be adequate for flow & skimming.

All the threads I found today mentioned aiming the returns to circulate the water in whichever way makes sense in your pool, but not aimed so high that the surface is excessively turbulent.

My pool builder supplied a plastic tool that fits on the eyeball retaining ring and the other end fits inside the eyeball itself. I tighten the ring down so the eyeball is just tight enough so that I can move it with the tool inserted in the eyeball but not loose enough so it moves on its own.

Is this tool available otherwise? Gotta name for it? I need this! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.