Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best practice with water flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Best practice with water flow

I realized that I have never made adjustments to my returns and doing so could probably help optimize water flow and certain dead spots in the pool. Should all returns be pointed in the same direction to help with the pools cycle? I have a dead spot under a return and I was wondering about pointing it straight down to help move the debris that always builds up there.

Also what's the best method for turning the eyeballs? I've only tried with my hands so far and they don't budge

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best practice with water flow

I always have mine pointing the same way to create a swirl towards skimmer. Plus I think it helps "clean" the sides. You can try pointing them downward to increase flow along the bottom. It's still circulating (still waters run deep, the old guys used to say)

As far as the eyeballs are concerned, I keep the rings holding the eyeballs in loose enough so the ring and ball are easy to turn. They tend to bind up over time
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Counterclockwise or clockwise, whichever seems to best move surface debris to the skimmers. I recently decided to reverse my flow and had use channel locks on a few of them to get them moving.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool builder supplied a plastic tool that fits on the eyeball retaining ring and the other end fits inside the eyeball itself. I tighten the ring down so the eyeball is just tight enough so that I can move it with the tool inserted in the eyeball but not loose enough so it moves on its own.

I generally have my returns pointed so they make a counterclockwise water flow that leads to the skimmer. One of the returns points downward, the return that is furthest away from the skimmer points more towards the surface so it collects most of the surface debris, and the last return is pointed directly to the skimmer and towards the bottom of the pool where the skimmer is. With this setup I have water movement all through the different depths of the pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I was just searching for this topic earlier today, and found a repeat of the same advice about every two years.

My pool circulates in a CCW direction, dictated by its shape and return placements. There are three returns, two in the deep end and one in the shallow, but one return in the deep end has always puzzled me about it's location (almost next to a skimmer). Tomorrow I'm going to aim that one down. The other returns are placed and will be adequate for flow & skimming.

All the threads I found today mentioned aiming the returns to circulate the water in whichever way makes sense in your pool, but not aimed so high that the surface is excessively turbulent.
    Brent / 24k gal / 16'x36' IG / Dura Glas II 1.25hp / 55 sqft DE filter / CircuPool Si-45 / TF-100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses, here's the return. I'm going to try and see if there is a tool for this. It's a pentair products

~15k gallons, 3'-5'-4' Figure 8 Shape In Ground
    Wetedge Satin Matrix Interior (Pebble)
    Paramount In-floor System
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050, Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    My pool builder supplied a plastic tool that fits on the eyeball retaining ring and the other end fits inside the eyeball itself. I tighten the ring down so the eyeball is just tight enough so that I can move it with the tool inserted in the eyeball but not loose enough so it moves on its own.
    Is this tool available otherwise? Gotta name for it? I need this!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain