Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turtle Mosaic - will shadow show with a Grey Finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Turtle Mosaic - will shadow show with a Grey Finish

Going with Stonescape Mini Pebble Tahoe Blue. For my baja beach, I will have two porcelain turtles and 2x2 linear step trim (not spotters). The turtles come with and without a shadow. Does anyone know if that shadow works with the Tahoe Blue, which on a baja shelf will be a greyish finish. From the online photo catalog, the turtle shadow looks to be a blushish or grey shawdow color. Thought maybe the shadow will end up being obscured by the grey finish.

Also one related question: does the placement of two such turtle mosaics and 2x2 tile step trim make install somewhat problematic for a mini pebble finish? I know they have to do an acid wash and was wondering does this process present possible scratching of the tile / turtle mosaic if they are not careful?
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turtle Mosaic - will shadow show with a Grey Finish

The problem here is we can't predict the future and predicting how a mosaic out of a catalog onto a pool plaster finish will look is just not possible even if we have exactly the same thing in our back yards. The variations in plaster finishes and how light plays upon them varies to much.

In some light you can see the mottling in my pool finish in other light you can't. In some light the seashells in the finish sparkle -- in other light you can't see them.

I will say that my skeptical wife now loves the mosaics in our pool. She was skeptical at first to say the least. I'll try to get a picture of them -- they are somewhat blue on blue.

The acid wash should have no effect on the tile.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess I was hoping that I would be able to draw on ppl with mosaics in the somewhat popular Tahoe Blue finish, which I do understand has variations of the grey. And while I agree that catolog pics of the shadow color and other mosaic depictions are not overly accurate, some of those mosaic shawdow colors in the ccatolog and online appear to me to be bluish in color, which strikes me as odd for a shadow color. I would think a dark grey would be more realistic in a larger variety of pool finishes.

There was an earlier "Show me you Mosaics" thread but it didn't get many responses. Too bad as I bet there are a lot of ppl with some cool looking stuff. Would love to see your pics.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Have you tried Pinterest? I can't say I've noticed anything on there, but I wasn't looking for that specifically. Sometimes I'm surprised by what I find on Pinterest.
    Good luck!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir