Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much should I raise FC level?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much should I raise FC level?

My little girl is having a pool party this Saturday that consists of about 10 girls and maybe 5-6 adults swimming. Here are my current numbers and they are staying super steady. Swim party will last about 5 hours.

FC 6
    PH 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 250
    CYA 50

Thought about raising the level to about 9 or 10 an hour before the party. Any suggestions? Oh and its over 100 degrees all week.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much should I raise FC level?

I would raise it to 12 at least with a CYA of 50, as long as you are below shock level it's safe to swim. Conversely, no one around here ever plans ahead so I usually wind up having to raise FC higher at night after everyone leaves. In that case, I bump it up to 20 (shock level) then test in the morning and make sure it's still at least 19 before the sun hits it.

Definitely wouldn't start out as low as your target 6.
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

If it were me I would push it up to 15 or so. Your SLAM level is 20 for a CYA of 50 so you will be under SLAM but high enough to take on the kids and what they will add to the pool LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

ya 12-15

I bump mine to 12 when I know a lot of guests will be over later in the day.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    If it were me I would push it up to 15 or so. Your SLAM level is 20 for a CYA of 50 so you will be under SLAM but high enough to take on the kids and what they will add to the pool LOL

Kim
    What do you mean add??? LOL A little fecal matter and urine deposits..HA
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL Clay yeah I HOPE it is only urine............no "snicker bars" allowed!

I would also push your FC to SLAM level after everyone leaves for the night.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I do it about an hour before the party or a few hours ahead of time?

8. Back To Top    #8

Clay that is up to you. I do want you make sure your addings are spot on...........does your FC get RIGHT where your target for each time you test and add?

You do NOT want to overshoot.............Do a little test----------test, do your math to push your FC up 1ppm, add the amount of bleach your math says, wait 30 mins (with pump running) and retest to make sure it only went up 1ppm.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

If you're at the upper end of your normal chlorine range when guests arrive, I would add more AFTER the party,
    that way it will have minimal wear & tear on swim suits.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.