Electric Heating Question

IzzyB

Jul 29, 2015
Orlando, FL
So we are looking to build a pool and spa. Last time we only had a pool and had solar heating. I was a little unimpressed with solar heating to be honest with you. In the summer when the pool was hot anyways it was hot, but about the end of October it was useless. We would have 80 degree weekends in November and December and it was useless. So now with a spa we need a better heater and we don't think we can put gas in because of how close the houses are and working out the distance of windows won't work. So we are doing electric. So my understanding if I want to use the spa that evening I need to turn it on about 4 or 5 hours in advance to get it heated (7 ft round spa), but I am getting mixed information when it comes to the pool. If I know that it is going to be 80 degrees Saturday and Sunday can I turn on the heater for the pool on Thursday and Friday and it be somewhat a decent temp on Saturday?

I live in Florida so the high temps in November/December are going to be in the mid to high 70s, but we get decent pockets in the 80s. Jan/Feb the highs can be 60s/70s but also get pockets of 80s. I would love to be able to swim on those warmer days in the fall/winter/spring seasons.

If you run your heat pump all the time when the pump is running and keep a solar blanket on the pool, you might be able to swim in the winter months of FL. As for the spa, well most folks don't plan ahead four to five hours to heat the spa.

When you spoke of gas, would it be natural or propane?

If you run your heat pump all the time when the pump is running and keep a solar blanket on the pool, you might be able to swim in the winter months of FL. As for the spa, well most folks don't plan ahead four to five hours to heat the spa.

When you spoke of gas, would it be natural or propane?

It would have been propane. We can bury the tank in the front yard, but I guess the heaters have to be 10 feet from any window.

I don't want to run the heat pump 24/7 if I am not going to be using it for the two weeks it is in the 70s. I also know there is no chance I am using a solar blanket. We had one for our last pool and we used it like 3 or 4 times. Too much of a pain and with kids the safety risk is a whole other thing.

We can plan ahead. We work from home, so turning on the spa during the day because we know we will be free that night is no issue. The one pool guys said it would heat in 3 hours. We also are hooking it up to our smart phones so we can turn it on when we are not home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.