Backwashing 101 - Note to all those new to pools and sand filters

May 30, 2015
Huger, SC
I've just learned after having my pool for 2 seasons (years) that when backwashing, you do so through the waste port. I do not have mine plumed and guess I've been backwashing straight back into the pool. I leave the waste cap on the filter all the time as I've never vacuumed to waste. I had no idea backwashing went through said waste port as well.

I feel it extremely important to note to advanced users on this forum to add "Backwash & Rinse THROUGH THE WASTE PORT" as a step when talking about clearing algae, pool maintenance, etc.

I now know why every so often dirt shoots back into the pool through the return and causes further frustration by having to continually vacuum.

when in doubt, ask questions. but yes, the idea of backwashing is to remove debris and clean it, not put it back in the pool :) didn't do any harm other than getting your pool dirty, glad you got it squared away now. welcome to TFP by the way!

Thanks all - total palm to face moment today when I was watching YouTube videos on how to hard plum my sand filter and saw someone backwashing. When I realized it was from the waste port all the pieces connected!

I knew I was backwashing, just not in the right way :brickwall:

I've just learned after having my pool for 2 seasons (years) that when backwashing, you do so through the waste port. I do not have mine plumed and guess I've been backwashing straight back into the pool. I leave the waste cap on the filter all the time as I've never vacuumed to waste. I had no idea backwashing went through said waste port as well.

I feel it extremely important to note to advanced users on this forum to add "Backwash & Rinse THROUGH THE WASTE PORT" as a step when talking about clearing algae, pool maintenance, etc.

I now know why every so often dirt shoots back into the pool through the return and causes further frustration by having to continually vacuum.
My multiport valve doesn't give me a choice. It has a position that says "Backwash", and it does so through the waste port. I don't see how it's even possible to backwash back into the pool as the multiport closes off the return to the pool.

Same goes for the rinse setting.

Are you maybe referring to vacuum to waste?

Dom

What happens if your waste port is capped off? When the multiport is selected for backwash, where would the outgoing water go? I don't have one so I don't know the answer to this one.
It would be trapped inside the filter, and would most likely be bad for the multiport valve spider gasket. Backwash flows the water through the sand in reverse, in through where it would normally leave to go to the return, out through the waste, all taken care of automatically with the multiport valve.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

Backwashing is usually for sand or DE filters but your signature states you have a cartridge filter. Are you backwashing your cartridge filter?
And if you are, can you please post pictures of this setup?

Dom

Backwashing is usually for sand or DE filters but your signature states you have a cartridge filter. Are you backwashing your cartridge filter?

The third sentence of that post answers this.

- - - Updated - - -

My questions were in relation to Doms posting. Since the OP said their waste port was capped off, the water has to go somewhere, my guess is it goes back into the pool and brings along the yuck from the filter. Maybe they have a bad spider gasket, and that is where the water that would normally go out the waste is leaking by and ending up back in the pool.

But instead of posting conjecture, I asked a pointed question instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mea culpa - i was responding to questions that were not directed to me. I assumed that the OP had the appropriate filter, didn't check the sig, and thought i was the person yall were asking about the cartdrige filter.
I will go into the dunce corner for a little while. I deserve it!! ?

mea culpa - i was responding to questions that were not directed to me. I assumed that the OP had the appropriate filter, didn't check the sig, and thought i was the person yall were asking about the cartdrige filter.
I will go into the dunce corner for a little while. I deserve it!! ��

bad boy! we will let you know when you can come out, haha

I think OP has a sand filter, he said sand filter in his second post I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.