Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipe thread question, not screwing in completely. Is this ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe thread question, not screwing in completely. Is this ok?

Sorry for the large image...

does led this adapter need to be screwed in further than I'm able to get it screwed in? I've used liquid Teflon on one of these and pipe seal tape on another and they won't go in all the way, like I was able to do with another one I've already installed (not pictured.)

Is the seal probably good enough on the left fitting? I'm guessing the right one is no good. Thoughts?

2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pipe thread question, not screwing in completely. Is this ok?

If it bottoms out you would have it too tight. It should be "roughly" finger tight and then an additional 1.5 turns or so. I've seen many recommendations from 1 to 2 turns, and "finger tight" also varies per person. It takes a little practice sometimes. Using either tape or a sealant the treads are effectively lubricated and easy to over-tighten and create stress and future crack of the female adapter.

Since it goes to a barbed hose fitting though it's an easy spot to re-try if you have a drip.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tapered pipe threads are designed to fully seal at about 3/4ths engaged. If you overnighten them it can split the female part.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Some PVC fittings aren't tapered. I know the ones for electrical conduit aren't. You might have gotten one of those and that's why the other fittings went together farther. I use that trick to create low cost bulkhead fittings.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm new here so not sure if URL's are ok.
    Try this link at LASCO, one of the biggest manufacturers of fittings. Basically what NeedMoreSun said is exactly correct.