Since my pool is so small and I have swimmers almost every day, the splash out, evaporation and need to add water has lowered my CYA from 60 to low-mid 40's (which I treat as 50 to be safe) a lot sooner than I expected. As a result I'm losing between 6-7ppm FC in 24 hours. I test quite often in the morning as well to be sure I'm not losing any at night, and although I was once, I did sort of a mini slam where I kept it 20 for about 36 hours and it held overnight on the second night, and continues to do so.
So if I use the sock method, that takes a week to get a good reading, would it be better to wait 3 weeks until the kids go back to school so I'm not fighting with so much water replacement as well? I know it's not much CYA loss but it'd be easier to wait (in my mind anyway). We'll probably be able to swim at least until October, but then will take the pool down (hopefully to get a bigger pool next year), if that makes a difference and how you'd handle it.
Aside from having to use a more bleach, will leaving my CYA where it is hurt anything else? I can't think of anything, so that's why I'm asking you guys!