Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going through 2 bottles a day... normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Going through 2 bottles a day... normal?

I suppose since the pool is in the sun from about 8AM to 8PM is the reason I'm going through so much. On days when it's cloudy, I only need to put one in.

~27k gallons, every night, I measure when I get home and the FC is about 4, sometimes as low as 3.5. My CYA is 50, and CC's always test out at < .5 or 0

According to the calculator, a 121oz of 8.25% equates to raising FC by 3 (which I will prove below), so by putting in 2 bottles, FC should have raised it up to about 10 if it measures 4 in the evening.

Last night I put in 2 bottles, and at 10pm, the level was 8. This morning it measured 7.5. I put another bottle in, waited an hour, tested again, and it's 9.5, so that verified 1 bottle indeed brought it up by 3. That also tells me the level must have been at 2 before I put them in :O

According to this, I'm losing 6 ppm each day when it's hot & sunny. Does this sound normal?

Water is crystal clear, and warm.

CC < .5
    Ph is 7.4
    CYA 50
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going through 2 bottles a day... normal?

6 ppm per day sounds like too much to me, in fact, if I was using over 3 ppm per day I would be concerned that I had something growing in a light fixture, main drain, ladder, etc.

3. Back To Top    #3

I can go through 4ppm per day if the cover is off, in the sun, and a few people are using the pool- if a lot of people were in, I could see going through 6ppm, though this is only a guess. I don't get too concerned because on days the cover is on all day I only go through .5 - 1ppm.

Pool is in the sun 7am-7pm
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    6 ppm per day sounds like too much to me, in fact, if I was using over 3 ppm per day I would be concerned that I had something growing in a light fixture, main drain, ladder, etc.
    But it looks like he's not really losing much FC overnight - wouldn't that indicate that there's likely not something growing in there?
    9,000 gallon IG pool with spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, 2HP Whisperflo pump, 0.75HP Letro booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, EasyTouch controller (originally a Compool LX100 that was upgraded via Pentair's upgrade kit), TF-100 kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lvrpl View Post
    But it looks like he's not really losing much FC overnight - wouldn't that indicate that there's likely not something growing in there?
    While I would usually agree, it's obvious that the FC has repeatedly dropped below the recommended minimum for the CYA level.

If this was my pool I would elevate the FC to shock level (20ppm) and do a proper OCLT (minimum of 8 hours with pump running & no cover) to validate.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends on where you live. I lose about 6-7ppm FC per day with a CYA of 50 (it's really mid 40's but I always round up). If you've been having the dry days with almost not break in sun like we have been in TX, I don't think it's totally off the charts. Test FC/CC after sundown and then again in the morning. If you lose more than 1ppm FC and/or have more than .5CC ( I prefer 0) you have something organic in there using it up. And should SLAM sooner rather than later. If all your other numbers are good and you're only losing it during the day, then it's likely the sun and swimmer load.

I would definitely approach it like Dom said.
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    While I would usually agree, it's obvious that the FC has repeatedly dropped below the recommended minimum for the CYA level.

If this was my pool I would elevate the FC to shock level (20ppm) and do a proper OCLT (minimum of 8 hours with pump running & no cover) to validate.

Dom
    Remembering this little tidbit is how I caught my possible algae bloom before I could see a difference in the water. If FC is not holding overnight, something is there and will likely get worse. Catch it before you can see it in your pool.
    Cornelius Monterey Steel/Resin AG 18' round (approx. 7600+gallons) Hayward veri-flo SWG w/sand filter.Testing w/ TK2006 using Speed stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies.

The replacement board for my swg came in today. I could run the bleach up to shock level tonight and check again in the morning, then go back to swg mode

K-2006 Test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It has been hot, several 3 digit days... it's cooled a bit, but will be hot again on Sunday.

I measured tonight, and it's down to 4. I bumped it up to 16 and put the pool cleaner in, and will measure again tonight and in the morning, then set the thing to come on mid-day for the SWG to keep it from falling so much.
    K-2006 Test kit