So frustrated w/ this FOAM!!!!

SC83

Jul 23, 2015
SC
I've been dealing with this stuff for a few weeks now. My water is clear as long as I do ⬇️this almost everyday

Doing this almost daily: I am cleaning the filters by hosing off then soaking in bleach & water. Using a Magic Eraser to wipe the thin brown line @ water level then skim the FOAM ? stuff out. Clear water starts to filter back into the pool. I check my levels and add what is needed. 24 hrs later the foam starts coming from the hose again. ?
I've been reading on here a ton & have a much better grasp on all this, but this is driving me crazy!

Your numbers will be helpful here to see what's going on. Once you post those you'll get concrete guidance on what is going on. In the mean time I'm wondering 2 things:

1. The Magic Eraser has cleaning solution in it that could then find it's way back into the pool.
2. Algaecide: I recently had a problem using a linear quat (not polyquat) algaecide and that produced foam when overused. If you are using algaecide, perhaps stop. This will dissipate over time with balanced water and sticking with straight chlorine to kill the algae in the pool.

-Backyardchemist

Splash free bleach is causing the foaming. Make sure you don't buy that stuff..... just regular, unscented, bleach......

Yep. Splash-free bleach contains surfactants (read: detergent) that help give it the splashless qualities but will foam like crazy with aeration. Foam should go away over time as you use the plain old bleach. Stick to using the splashless with laundry.

Oh and could this be related to the thin brown line at the water level? It's only there when the foam is pumping into the pool.

It could be that the surfactants you have added unintentionally are removing some biofilms from your plumbing or reacting with things trapped in your filter. I still don't know if your referring to a spa or pool. That would help. Judging by your filter maintenance description and scrubbing the water line, I'm guessing spa or small pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then it's likely that the surfactants in the splashless bleach are both causing the foam and pulling the residues (sunscreen, oils, perhaps plumbing biofilms) from your filter and plumbing out and the foam is depositing them on the water line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.