Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool, filter and vacuum options

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pool, filter and vacuum options

I have a 16x48 intex pool. I have the stock pump and filter and have looked into maybe getting a sand pump but which one? West Texas we have lots of dirt blowing. I've been vacuumimg with a vacation that attaches to the suction and has a bag catcher but it takes forever..I also have the over the wall skimmer. I am looking for a good sand filter option and a good vacation option I was looking at the haward aqua bug on amazon has some good reviews?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pool, filter and vacuum options

Welcome to TFP!

Anything is better than those stock pumps! You can google INTEX sand filters and see what they offer. It is a rule of thumb to always purchase the biggest sand filter you can afford and take it easy on the pump to save electricity. If you're going to do the new filter, buy a skimmer box and install it too so you can attach a vac line right into the skimmer box. There is a modification thread in this forum too.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought the 2800GPH one from Amazon (Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 110-120 Volt with GFCI, 2800 Gallon : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden) when it was on sale this summer for $130. I cannot believe how much water it moves. While you are at it you should look at the salt water filter as well. It truly pays for itself since you hardly have to buy any chemicals...

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the 12" sand filter for a 15 X 48 and I wish it was stronger. It vacuums slower than I had hoped. Definitely put the salt water chlorine generator next on your wish list. If you have the easy set pool then check out my skimmer mod, but if you have the metal frame consider the skimmer box like Casey suggested.
    Intex 15' X 52" Easy Set (modified for larger inlet/outlet)
    Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex SWG
    Happiness!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I heard the saltwater system is hard to take care of around here in west Texas?

I have also looked at the side skimmer and it seems like a great mod. But I don't know if I want to loose that much water level..

What vacuum do you guys recomend

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to run my SWG for 10 hours in Houston and be sure there is plenty of CA.

For vacuuming, I just use a hose connected to a brush while diving. The easy set pool tends to collect all of the debris near the edges so it's not really a lot of work. I have looked at the Aqua Bug as well since it is a less expensive option but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I looked into the Hayward wall skimmer too but didn't do it for just that reason. A four foot pool needs all the water it can get. That's why I designed the modification to the Intex over-the-wall skimmer. It holds itself up, has full flow around the top and is easy to remove when I want to connect the hose for vacuuming.
    Intex 15' X 52" Easy Set (modified for larger inlet/outlet)
    Intex 1600 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex SWG
    Happiness!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I am looking at the intex 3000gph sand filter and the aqua bug vacuum. I am planning on a hard sided pool next summer and a bigger one maybe 24x52 so want a filter and vacuum that will work on that setup. What do you guys recomend.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you got pics of the mod

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by hippyengineer View Post
    If you have the easy set pool then check out my skimmer mod, but if you have the metal frame consider the skimmer box like Casey suggested.
    I'd like a link or pics to that skimmer mod too!!!!
    Our pool is only 42" high and that is what is holding me back from putting a skimmer box on.... losing water!
    21' x 52" Round Above Ground. (Buried 2') AquaPro 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 19" Sand filter, Hayward inline chlorinator.
    Hayward H200 millivolt NG Heater, SunQuest 2 x 2'x10' Solar heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I wish you can see where I installed mine, after some one here did the same I will try to post the picture, hope it works

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0X...p=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0X...p=docslist_api

My pool is still a work in progress

I hard plumbed with 1 1/2 PVC moved the filter and swg to the equipment pad, a fountain and installed the skimmer, last week, so far so good
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Also for the people who want to buy a Intex swg, Amazon have the new SWG 15000 gal for $99, I just bought one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart