Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lighter, Brighter Shade of Blue Plaster at Deep End

1. Back To Top    #1

Lighter, Brighter Shade of Blue Plaster at Deep End

If I don't destroy my pool, and myself, it is going to be a miracle.

The plaster in this pool is blue in color, and somewhat mottled with age. There is an area at the deep end that is brighter blue than the rest of it. I think this may have happened when I added acid at one of the jets at the deep end. At the time, I did not know you were supposed to use a brush to move the acid around on the bottom of the pool. I did use a net to blend it in, but I don't recall how deep I went. This is also the time I got acid fumes in my eyes, so I was not thinking the best at that point. I didn't really notice it before, but I recently have been changing some of the water, and noticed it. Maybe it has something to do with the tap water coming in, also at the deep end (although the brighter area is at a right angle to the tap water flow).

The pH has been very high recently 8.2, and I have done water changes, because I just could not get everything balanced. cYA was 160, and CA was 750.

Was:

CYA 160
    FC 7
    CC 0
    CA 750
    TA 160
    pH 8.2

My water is now:

CYA 70
    FC 13.5
    CC 0.5
    CA 450
    TA 130
    pH 7.6

I don't know if I should lower the pH of the pool to see if the color will blend better. Let me know what you guys think.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Lighter, Brighter Shade of Blue Plaster at Deep End

The experts are going to want a full set of test results, I am guessing....
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point. I added the before water readings.

I'll upload a picture later. It appears that the rest of the pool has some sort of deposit on the surface that is making it look dingy compared to this bright spot of about 2 feet by 6 feet. I am wondering if I have iron or copper light staining.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

Since I have not gotten any response on this, I'll have to guess. I'm thinking that the rest of the pool may have a light layer of copper or iron that the acid removed when I poured it in without brushing it. The area where I believe the acid settled, actually looks really nice and clean. So the goal is to get the rest of the pool to look like that. I'm going to try some metal removers and see what happens.
    Michael

5. Back To Top    #5

Ascorbic acid will remove iron stains most readily; citric acid will remove newer copper stains more readily; older copper stains may require more significant acid and etching to remove so may not be worth it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you may have calcium carbonate scale on the plaster since before the water change your CH was 750, TA 160, and pH 8.2 (possibly higher). These are all indicators for possible scale formation. You still have high TA and high CH 450. To prevent more scale from forming you would lower the TA to 70ppm, and keep the pH in the 7.0-7.2 range. This will also reduce the existing scale over time, and regular brushing will help loosen it. Metal sequestrant, such as Jack's Magic #2 can also help to loosen and dissolve scale.

You can also use MA to treat calcium carbonate scale on plaster surfaces. You may want to test a small application of MA or dry acid on a stain in the shallow end of the pool to see if it removes the stain.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I really appreciate the suggestions. Scale did cross my mind, but it threw me off when I couldn't feel any roughness, and didn't see any scale on the tiles. What you are saying makes sense, though, so I will give these suggestions a try.

If I can get the rest of the pool to look like the deep end, it's really going to pop.

Thank you!
    Michael