1st results!

How much CYA is left in the sock? I would think it should all be dissolved by now.
If you are getting anything like the weather we have been having (nearly 2 weeks of over 100 deg) that sun is chewing up FC.
It might be getting close to time for that CYA test.
What was your target CYA; 40? 50?
When I had mine down @ 30 I was dropping over a gallon of 11% bleach every day feeding the sun, without swimmer load.
And I was failing to stay above minimum levels.
Since I raised it to 50 I am adding about 60oz every day, double that with swimmer load. I am also able to stay well above minimum levels.

Yes, keep that FC up at target for sure.
If you are still seeing dot @ 20 then you are less than 20.
If your initial CYA was 20 and you based your CYA addition on that you may need a little more CYA.
I say this because even if none of the CYA you added is registering yet, your starting point is not 20, more like 5-10.
The sock needs to be squeezed every time you are near it so you can get that CYA dissolved in the water.
I'm afraid until that CYA comes up, you are going to have to continue feeding the sun.

My initial reading of 20 was actually <20, but being a newbie I put 20 instead of 0 or <20. I got the FC up last night and checked it this morning and it is still up there...I've also been working the sock. There's about 25% left, I will go buy some more stabilizer to add as I am sure I will need it. I have the sock hanging just before the skimmer, so when it dissolves it is going thru the filter...is this wrong? Should I have it next to the return to push out into the pool?

Dissolved CYA will not get trapped in the filter, only undissolved granules have this problem. It is best to put the sock in the skimmer basket or hang it in front of a return. Although, hanging in front of the skimmer is probably OK too. CYA usually dissolves in 2 or 3 days, but can take a few more days, up to a week, to fully register on the test. But, it is doing it's job and you should chlorinate based in the amount of CYA added and the, Chlorine CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bryan,
If you add more CYA, add it based on the sum of what you have added plus the difference between dosing for 10 and 20 (original starting point).
Your test tomorrow will still not be reading actual due to the latency of CYA detection.
You do not want your CYA to overshoot your target.
The only way to come back from that is to partially drain the pool.
It is far less painful to ease up to your target.
Keep fighting the good fight!

FC didn't drop too much today, which leads me to believe I have CYA... Still sunny and hot but not as hot as it has been. So I am going to test it in the morning, it'll be week. The sock has since been moved to the return and it is almost gone. Probably will be gone in the morning..

From pool school "Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some." To me this means test for CYA a week after adding stabilizer. I have and am almost up to 20...do I wait another week to test and then go from there...It isn't a 2 week process, is it? Just trying to get clarity...

If it took a week for the CYA to dissolve because you had it in front of the skimmer and not a return, the CYA will not show up completely on a test until one week after the last granules dissolved. You have a partial number for your CYA, but not full until one week after the CYA completely dissolved. I hope that is clear; if not, ask again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.