Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Make sure I am thiking straight about pH - 7.8 TA 110

1. Back To Top    #1

Make sure I am thiking straight about pH - 7.8 TA 110

Water is crystal clear, but my pH like to peg round 7.8

I can lower, but it raises back up....I do have a slide and a 5 year old that swims a ton (2 hours a night)

No eye irritation and water is lovely.

Should I worry about anything, or is this totally ok.

If I had acid, the pH slowly goes back up to 7.8 and sticks forever...

Please let me know if I need to do the TA lower trick , Acid to bring pH to 7.2 ish and then aerate to raise. I really don't want to do this, unless you all think my pH related numbers are high...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Make sure I am thiking straight about pH - 7.8 TA 110

As long as it stays at 7.8 it is fine. 7.8 is the high limit of the range.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi toofast, While I'm not the PH TA expert , I have seen the pros say there is a sweet spot with your TA that will slow PH rise. And when they see me posting advice to you, they will jump in and bail us out

It sounds like you're saying it stays at 7.8, I would be tempted to leave it alone since you have a fiberglass liner.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy pooldv is sooo good he bailed me out before I finished my post. Talk about PROS
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL! No bailing out required!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so it sounds like I am OK at this point and no need to do anything....except continue to monitor.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Your pH is at the upper limit of what is recommended, but your TA is over the recommended amount.... so no action is *required,* but facing this same sort of dilemma, I allowed the TA to drift down over time and when I reached a TA of 60, I no longer had to fight the pH with gallons and gallons of MA.

7. Back To Top    #7

Please post the other chem levels. If the CH is high the pool might be in risk of scale if the pH is kept that high.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Please post the other chem levels. If the CH is high the pool might be in risk of scale if the pH is kept that high.
    Since my pool is Fiberglass, I am lead to believe CH is not that critical....but maybe I am wrong. Once I get back into town I will do the full range of tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was having a similar problem but pH was drifting more towards 8 and my TA was 110. I was adding muriatic acid every couple of days. Adjusted TA down to 90 and haven't had to add muriatic acid in about 2 weeks as my pH has been stable at 7.5. Makes me believe in the sweet spot theory and mine appears to be a TA of 90.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    Since my pool is Fiberglass, I am lead to believe CH is not that critical....but maybe I am wrong. Once I get back into town I will do the full range of tests.
    low CH is not an issue with fiberglass, but if its really high you can get scale, especially if your pH is really high or low...and that's for any pool. I would run a full set of tests and plug them into pool math and see what your CSI is
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 on that ^^^^^^^
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Mine seems to settle out around 7.9. I prefer to keep it there as opposed to weekly acid treatments just to pull it down slightly.

13. Back To Top    #13

I also used the lowering TA trick to keep my PH from constantly rising to 8. My PH stays nearly steady now at 7.6 with TA settling in at 40. But I have less to worry about with a vinyl liner, or so I'm told. But if my pool was happy at 7.8, I'd probably be happy with it too unless I was preparing for a SLAM.
    7600 gallon; 18'X54" round; vinyl; sand filter and 110V pump, 2-speed.
    Near Cookeville, TN--1/2-way between Nashville--Knoxville along I-40; Highland Rim part of the Appalachian Plateau (we call the Cumberland Plateau for the southern half of this geological region).

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    low CH is not an issue with fiberglass, but if its really high you can get scale,
    Isn't there some issue with CH that causes "chalking"? Or would that just be a fancy form of scale?

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

15. Back To Top    #15

I should add also, that once I dropped my TA to 70ish, I have stopped the pH feud going on between me and my pool. With my pH @100-110, my pH would bounce up over 8.2 almost faster than I could lower it. Literally from 7.5 back to over 8.2 in less than 24 hours... it was infuriating!
    But now it's rock steady... hasn't gone over 8 in nearly 2 months. Stays right at 7.5, just where it belongs, for weeks. Only barely starting to creep up, to almost 7.8 yesterday.... I plan to lower it again soon, but I'm not in a big hurry.

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀