Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading Electric Meter from 200 to 400 amp

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading Electric Meter from 200 to 400 amp

So our 36 X 18 above ground pool is under construction. The electrician just told us to get our electric heat pump we need to upgrade our electric line from 200 to 400 amp. The estimated cost of doing this is $4000 to $5000. If we change to a gas heater, we won't have to upgrade. What do you recommend we do? We wanted electric heat pump to save money on the gas bill. But with this extra cost, will we really be saving a whole lot in the long run? What are heat pump costs electric vs gas per month. We live in Tennessee. Thank you. We need to decide by tomorrow!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading Electric Meter from 200 to 400 amp

Are you planning on other upgrades or just the heat pump?
    What is the model of the heat pump?
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

3. Back To Top    #3

We are still building the pool and were told we need to increase our amp from 200 to 400. The electric heat pump we were putting in is a Jandy. What are your thoughts?

4. Back To Top    #4

You could always get another electrician out for second opinion.
    Expect to pay a modest fee if you're looking for detailed info.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

5. Back To Top    #5

There are WAY too many variables on the electrical work to even make a guess here, but if that is the cost and if you have natural gas available I would strongly consider a gas heater. In my experience electrical quotes can be all over the place, I would get at least one more quote, maybe 2 or 3. To give you an example a few years ago I was dealing with something similar getting quotes to connect a backup generator that I had already purchased, 3 quotes ranged from $1,200 - $4,600 to do the exact same thing.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I meant to say inground pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

Does power come overhead or underground? Might have to upgrade the transformer too. I have a 400a panel and a 320a meter base.

Built Aug 2015- 20x40 26000 Gallon free form gunite, White plaster w/ 50% blue quartz, 2hp Jandy Stealth, Polaris 280, 2 skimmers,2 floor drains, 5 returns, bubbler, Grotto waterfall. 2 24" sheer decents, Jandy 48 DE filter, Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 SWG, 2 Color changing led

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

To know the answer to this we would need to see the load calculation he did on the house to determine this. I am not too familiar with heat pumps but I doubt there is one on the market for home pools that pulls upwards of 200 amps. what other big items does the house have on the system? ( AC Etc). how big is the house?

To know the costs comparisons of electric vs gas we would need to know the rates of each in your area. Generally, gas is cheaper to operate. However depending on where you live, some electric rates can be competitive.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Another question is cost, after-the-fact. It was actually cheaper, per month, to add another 200A service to my workshop, rather than up one service to 400A. There is no reason for this other than the power company considers a 400A service on par with a 3-phase service with respect to gouging purposes....

10. Back To Top    #10

It looks like Jandy Heat pumps pull 40-60Amps depending on model and have a Max of 127K BTU's.
    JE Heat Pump

If you get a Gas fired heater they can go up to 3 times the BTU's giving you the ability to have it heat the pool faster and as others have said often Gas cost less to run
    18 years ago i installed a oil fired heater as there is no gas available, not the best way to go but i felt better the Electric- If gas becomes available I' switch in a heartbeat
    that being said if you stay with the Heat pump they idea of a second 200A service maybe a good choice if available
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

11. Back To Top    #11

Even larger heat pumps can be sized for a #8 THWN circuit. The units only require :Jandy 137Mbtu 42A branch circuit and Hayward 140Mbtu a 36A branch circuit.
    https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lit...Brochure13.pdf
    It's fairly simple to compare fuel consumption rates, if you know what model equipment and your local rates.

For heat pumps, COP rating is a direct multiple relationship to power vs electrical btuh value.
    So, if 1kWh of electricity costs $0.12, your Hayward unit is rated at 6.0 COP, and your output is 140Mbtuh, then you can calculate
    140,000/3412/6x0.12= $0.82 per hr of operation or per 140,000 btus.

Gas supplier btuh value may differ but average is 1030 btuh/cuft.
    So, if 1CCF (100cuft) of gas costs $1.18, the unit efficiency is ~83%, and the input is 200Mbtuh.
    So, 200,000/103,000 x 1.18 = $2.29 per hr of operation.
    But wait, it's only 83% efficient so, 200,000 x .83 = 160,000btus output.
    So, you paid $2.29 for 160,000 btus in an hr of operation.

So, cost wise, there is absolutely no comparison. Heat pump wins hands down 59% more efficient using my local utility cost. Of course this is rated at an 80/80/80% temp. So, efficiency will vary with water, outdoor air temp and relative humidity, but still not even close to a comparison.
    Time it takes to heat the pool, a big + for gas because of the heating value available.

Edit, just noticed I was looking at specs from 2013.
    Here are 2015 specs: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lite...lithtpro15.pdf
    So, your min amp circuit rating is 42A with the 2015 model. So, 50A circuit is plenty in either case, with a 60A breaker.

For those who may disagree, this is a multi motor load with internal overloads built in. Read Article 430 NEC, Circuit size is not rated the same as other loads.