1. Back To Top    #1

How much shock do I add?

Current levels:

FC: 0
    pH: 8.2
    TA: 180
    CYA: 50

Also, water is cloudy.

I put bleach in the pool yesterday but my pool is in direct sunlight all day. I just brought home an Aqua EZ Floating Pool Chemical Dispenser and Clorox Pool & Spa Active 99 3" Chlorinating Tablets. I also bought some Clorox Pool & Spa Shock Plus. I'm just not sure how much of it I need to add to my pool.

FYI...Yes, I have read the information at the Pool School. I still don't understand how much shock to add to my 16' x 48" AGP. Thanks in advance for your help.
    14'x42" AG Polygroup Pro-Series, 3300 gal. capacity, SFS1000 filter system, F1000C pump type, Basic vaccum head that came with pool
    AND
    16'x48" AG Intex Round Ultra Frame, 6000 gal. capacity, Krystal Clear Model 635T 1500 gal filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much shock do I add?

The short answer is None.

Your CYA is already at 50. The pucks are 99% trichlor.
    The shock is 58% dichlor.

Both will raise the CYA level too high. Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Why do you need shock? What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Her water is cloudy Dave.

As Richard said, NONE. You need to go get unscented bleach and look at Pool Math in my signature. Also, another go around Pool School over a cup of coffee, a beer, or whatever you prefer would not hurt you.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Your water is cloudy because there is not enough chlorine in your pool. It is important to keep chlorine at tarbet level for your CYA at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart. Allowing your chlorine level to drop below minimum leaves your pool unsanitary and allows algae to grow.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

To get a full understanding, re-read Pool School. However the key thing to understand is CYA and forms of chlorine.

Your pool needs CYA - it slows chlorine loss, but it also makes chlorine less effective. 50 where you are is fine (a touch high IMO, but still OK). You do not want it to go higher, or else you will start having problems. CYA does not drop on it's own, the only way to lower it is too drain some water and add fresh.

Now here comes the kicker - any kind of chlorine that you buy that comes in solid form - pucks, sticks, granules - either shock, tabs, clean and swim, or whatever else they call it, also contains CYA - that is just how it is. Using solid chlorine will raise your CYA.

That is why we say to use bleach (or, if you have a source and are comfortable with it, liquid chlorine, which is in essence stronger bleach)

As to how much bleach you need to add - look at pool math. Also - which pool has the problem, apparently you have two, of two different sizes.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello essjay75, I'm wondering right now if your just standing back and scratching your head

If your new here like me, all the above advice is spot on ! But, when you first read it all, it can be overwhelming. If that's the case, take a deep breath and slowly take it all in.

AT first I said, "do what to what and because of what". The bottom line is, all the answers are here AND these folks will help you every step of the way. So I would say read and reread, and if you have ANY questions ask away.

As someone told me "there are no stupid questions" Oh and Welcome to TFP
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

OK - I re-read this and saw that the trouble is in your 6,000 gal pool.

Here is what you need to do:

Step 1) Return all of the chemicals you bought, and use the money to buy a lot of bleach. Get PLAIN bleach, no scents, no splashless. It should be 8.25% (it will say in fine print on the bottle)

Step 2) Look at the Chlorine CYA Chart (link in a previous post). It says, for a CYA of 50, your target FC (free chlorine) level is between 4 and 6 ppm, and your shock level is 20 ppm

Step 3) look at the pool math link. Put in your 6,000 gallons at the top, and then go to the very bottom where you can see the results of adding various strength bleach. In your 6,000 gallon pool, adding 9oz of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1.0 ppm. So, to go from 0 where you are, to 20 you will need to add 20x9 = 180 oz of bleach. Since you want to be at or above shock level, add more, like 198 oz total.

Step 4) read the instructions for SLAMing a pool. You have to keep your pool at or above the 20 ppm until the process is done (it passes the OCLT and less than 0.5 ppm CC tests). So you have to keep adding bleach to your pool to keep the level above 20 ppm

Step 5) Once your pool is done with the SLAM process, and all is good, you can let your FC level drift down to the 4-6 range. Test your water, and add bleach as necessary to keep it in that 4-6 range (remember 9oz of 8.25% bleach in your pool will raise the FC by 1.0)

Step 6) Enjoy clear safe water, and an easy and cost efficient pool.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

^^^^^^
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcom to TFP! I'm in Cypress Also. This heat/sun does make it difficult doesn't it.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I hope we didn't lose here but it's been 6 days and no update
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!