SWG not working, Going on a vacation for a week - what to do so water remains good?

rubyag

Aug 3, 2015
Lewisville, tx
Hi,

Got a new house with pool last week. Since then have been working to get the pH down and chlorine levels up.
After 2 rounds of muriatic acid and shocks in the last 4 days it is now at:
- FC -2
- PH 7.8
- CYA - 20
- CH - 180
- TA - 90
Everything looks good other than CYA. What should I do to get that right.

Also leaving for vacation on Saturday for 5 days. Since the SWG is not functioning (previous owners left it in not working condition) and replacement will take at least 2 weeks, what can I do.
Can I just put shock on Friday and then another on Sunday..
Just need to make sure its somewhat OK - until we come back.

Thanks!

You can throw some tri-chlor tabs into the skimmer. That will also have the added benefit of raising your CYA. However, long term, you don't want to use tabs as your CYA will get so high it becomes unmanageable. But for vacation purposes and since your CYA is currently low, it will be fine.

Take your FC to 12 using plain bleach, cover the pool if possible. Have a neighbor add bleach while you're gone if possible. If not......buy one of those floating puck dispensers and fill it up with tabs while you're gone. Tie it to a ladder rail so it is in the flow. Not a good idea to leave tabs in a skimmer basket when the pump is not running.

Take your FC to 12 using plain bleach, cover the pool if possible. Have a neighbor add bleach while you're gone if possible. If not......buy one of those floating puck dispensers and fill it up with tabs while you're gone. Tie it to a ladder rail so it is in the flow. Not a good idea to leave tabs in a skimmer basket when the pump is not running.

Why wouldn't the pump be running....he said his SWG is down, not the pump.

Agreed if not running 24/7. But if I'm going on vacation, it's running 24/7 just to keep filtration at a max since I'm not skimming or vacuuming. I guess I'm assuming things that to me are common, but maybe not so much. My bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.