pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump died or maybe not

Aug 5, 2015
North western NJ
HI All:

About two days ago we had a real bad electrical storm. the pump was running on schedule during the storm. I noticed sometime after the storm that the pump did not power up. The digital pad was out and I go tho joy when i pressed on th power button. I tested the breaker box and I have 240 volts coming into the breaker box by ht pool equipment. I tested the three prong receptacle and got no readings between the two vertical prongs. When i put the tester lead into the one vertical prong and the "ground" prong the circuit breaker trips.

BTW, i had the electrician install a power plug on the pump so I can plug and unplug to put the pump away for the winter. The pump was brand new then and continued to run like a champ until the electrical storm. BTW, nothing else was damaged .

I am confused as all heck as to what could be the problem. I suspect there is problem between circuit breaker and 3 prong receptacle but don't know how to troubleshoot. To make matters worse my electrician is on vacation until next week.

1. Is the power receptacle bad?

2. Is the circuit breaker bad?

3. All of the above.

Brisolle,

I'm sorry to say this on your very first post, but I suggest you wait for your electrician to come back from vacation or hire a new one. Here is why....

You say that you have no power across what I suspect are the two input connections, but at the same time you say you can pop the breaker (or GFI) when you check one lead to ground... I'm not sure how you can have both conditions at the same time. Someone with your electrician's experience needs to troubleshoot your system.

What would you have done if I had selected say # 3, were you going to replace them on your own? What did you use to test the power?

I know it is not what you wanted to hear, but I think the best option.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

I tend to agree with Jim, what you say you have done and the results indicate a lack of understanding how electricity works. Post a pic of your breaker, your receptacle and what you are using to test it with. Maybe we will notice something or be able to offer a safe suggestion to try.

In the meantime, be sure to add bleach to maintain your chlorine at or above target. Brush or swim to mix it in the pool. Don't want to have pump issues and green pool issues.

Ok. Let's try this again. Maybe I'm not explaining it right. I have uploaded photos of my meter. It's a GVT-82. I measured the electricity coming into the subpanel. It measures 240 volts. It measures zero volts at the receptacle. There is no voltage between the breaker and the receptacle. I think the breaker is shot because of the lightning. IMG_0513.jpgIMG_0514.jpgIMG_0521.jpgIMG_0515.jpg

Brisolle,

Given the choice of the receptacle or GFIC Circuit Breaker going bad, I'd go with the Circuit Breaker every time. The first thing I would do is take the cover off the CB panel and check for voltage on the output terminals of the Pump Circuit Breaker. If the subpanel has power and there is no voltage on the output of the pump circuit breaker, then it is either popped or bad. I always second guess myself when checking voltage at a NEMA receptacle, as I never know for sure if the voltage is not there or if I'm just not making good contact with the meter leads.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.