Whisperflo Motor just went out (I think), advice for replacement.

Jun 1, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Firstly equipment is approximately 13 years old. My 2HP single speed motor just went out I think, haven't had a chance to pull it from the pump to check rotation etc. Wife said the pump was really noisy so went out to investigate and saw some white smoke coming from the general area then the equipment shut down. Now the motor just hums for about 15s then trips the breaker. I changed the capacitor out last year, I don't remember the exact symptoms when that went bad.

The label on the motor is a little messed up, hopefully there is enough information visible that it can be accurately identified. 20150805_121225.jpg20150805_121234.jpg

My pool is 10K gallons, compool 3400, in floor cleaning, aquarite SWCG, solar, spa and heater. I do notice when my filter is getting dirty that there is less pressure for the in floor (the heads don't come up enough to rotate on the way down).

I don't mind getting a new motor, but I figured that since I am doing it I may as well look at upgrading to a 2-speed or even a VS if they are going to keep my pool clean and save some money on electricity costs down the road.

Can anyone provide some advice/recommendations on a replacement motor ? Will I get any benefits from a 2-speed or VS ?

Hi Ozzzz. So your 2hp Whisperflo motor looks like it's dead? Smoke usually means so. You have a 2hp square flange motor. If you're thinking long term, a VSP pump is a great choice. It is definitely a money saver and Pentair makes what I think is the best one out there. But research the pump and draw your own conclusions, then research price, which can vary a lot between pool stores and online

The price doesn't bother me, I am comfortable paying for something that has value. I just don't want to potentially waste money on a VS if I have to keep it on full speed all the time to run the infloor.

Also, can I just put a VS motor on my pump or do I need to change the motor and pump ?

Shaft turns, but makes a bit of a grinding sounding and it certainly doesnt turn freely.

Also, I cant for the life of me get the bottom two bolts out that hold the motor to the seal plate !!! I've sprayed copious amounts of penetrating oil, I'll spray some more tonight and then in the morning and see if that helps.

I guess if I cant get the seal plate off I may as well get a completely new pump, which I was hoping to avoid so I didn't have to touch any of the plumbing !

Double your leverage with a second wrench as this stolen image shows
Increase_leverage_with_two_wrenches.jpg

And if it's in your paws, haul the thing over to a garage somewhere and have someone zap the bolts off with an air wrench. I imagine a few ice cold waters or gatorades would suffice.

I just don't want to potentially waste money on a VS if I have to keep it on full speed all the time to run the infloor.
+1. Given the in-floor and your location, a VS would probably end up costing more over the life of the pump than a two speed or even a high efficiency single speed. However, VS pump rebates from your local power company might help even it out some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.