Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whisperflo Motor just went out (I think), advice for replacement.

1. Back To Top    #1

Whisperflo Motor just went out (I think), advice for replacement.

Firstly equipment is approximately 13 years old. My 2HP single speed motor just went out I think, haven't had a chance to pull it from the pump to check rotation etc. Wife said the pump was really noisy so went out to investigate and saw some white smoke coming from the general area then the equipment shut down. Now the motor just hums for about 15s then trips the breaker. I changed the capacitor out last year, I don't remember the exact symptoms when that went bad.

The label on the motor is a little messed up, hopefully there is enough information visible that it can be accurately identified. 20150805_121225.jpg20150805_121234.jpg

My pool is 10K gallons, compool 3400, in floor cleaning, aquarite SWCG, solar, spa and heater. I do notice when my filter is getting dirty that there is less pressure for the in floor (the heads don't come up enough to rotate on the way down).

I don't mind getting a new motor, but I figured that since I am doing it I may as well look at upgrading to a 2-speed or even a VS if they are going to keep my pool clean and save some money on electricity costs down the road.

Can anyone provide some advice/recommendations on a replacement motor ? Will I get any benefits from a 2-speed or VS ?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Whisperflo Motor just went out (I think), advice for replacement.

the people with motor knowledge will need the information of the old motor...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Added images of labels on current motor.
    10K gallon
    Compool 3400, Aquarite SWCG, In Floor Cleaner
    Pentair Minimax NT Heater and Solar
    Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi Ozzzz. So your 2hp Whisperflo motor looks like it's dead? Smoke usually means so. You have a 2hp square flange motor. If you're thinking long term, a VSP pump is a great choice. It is definitely a money saver and Pentair makes what I think is the best one out there. But research the pump and draw your own conclusions, then research price, which can vary a lot between pool stores and online

5. Back To Top    #5

The price doesn't bother me, I am comfortable paying for something that has value. I just don't want to potentially waste money on a VS if I have to keep it on full speed all the time to run the infloor.

Also, can I just put a VS motor on my pump or do I need to change the motor and pump ?
    10K gallon
    Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

Shaft turns, but makes a bit of a grinding sounding and it certainly doesnt turn freely.

Also, I cant for the life of me get the bottom two bolts out that hold the motor to the seal plate !!! I've sprayed copious amounts of penetrating oil, I'll spray some more tonight and then in the morning and see if that helps.

I guess if I cant get the seal plate off I may as well get a completely new pump, which I was hoping to avoid so I didn't have to touch any of the plumbing !
    10K gallon
    Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Double your leverage with a second wrench as this stolen image shows

And if it's in your paws, haul the thing over to a garage somewhere and have someone zap the bolts off with an air wrench. I imagine a few ice cold waters or gatorades would suffice.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Definitely go with a new variable speed pump. I wouldn't try to rebuild that old WhisperFlo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzzz666 View Post
    I just don't want to potentially waste money on a VS if I have to keep it on full speed all the time to run the infloor.
    +1. Given the in-floor and your location, a VS would probably end up costing more over the life of the pump than a two speed or even a high efficiency single speed. However, VS pump rebates from your local power company might help even it out some.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Ozzzzz, I just happen to have a 3hp whisperflo I'm looking to sell here in Vegas. Here are the details of why I'm selling it http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rand-New-Build , maybe we can help each other out. Sent you a p.m.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)