So why are you building a pool NOW??

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
This is a question we immediately got from PB#5 yesterday, but we've heard it before! :)

Our kids are sorta "all grown up", 20-23, college fees are all addressed in the budget, and we have enough to splurge on a pool. And I won't have to watch the pool for little kid-friend activities.

What am I missing -- is this a bad idea??

I think the PB is wondering what took you so long?? :)

Skippy and I truly regret not having put in a pool much earlier in our kids lives. I bet we'd have seen our kids and their friends far more...a good thing!

We got asked the same question - but each time from the PB it was to help determine what features they might need to consider. Kids, no kids, super athletic, lap pool, diving pool, or laid back social pool. They all quickly realized we wanted a place to float and drink and socialize. (btw - we have no kids - unless you consider my husband - he acts like a child often enough!)

I use our pool/backyard the most out of anyone in my family. It is my get away cool off place from work. It is my sanctuary from all the craziness in life. That is why I would build one at a different house regardless of how old my kids will be in the future.

I always wanted a pool. It took decades and retirement for me to finally do it. I think the PB's were a little surprised I wanted to build one with no grandkids. But... they wanted my money, so they didn't question it for long! Lol!

I say go for it and have fun!
Suz.

We don't have an in ground pool at our home but the pool we do have fits us right now. Hubby did not want a pool but he uses the pool more than I do. Our new retirement home will have an in ground pool or I will have one built so he can float and my grandbabies can swim and play with me.

A pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. I wish I had put in an above ground so that when my kids leave I could have it hauled off. A nice outdoor kitchen/fireplace/pergola would have been better for resale and relaxation at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention usable for more than 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Sorry. Somebody had to be the negative Nancy.

A pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. I wish I had put in an above ground so that when my kids leave I could have it hauled off. A nice outdoor kitchen/fireplace/pergola would have been better for resale and relaxation at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention usable for more than 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I'm sorry you feel that way Nancy!

We went AGP to insure we would actually use it enough to justify the cost of a IGP. WE had already built and use the Pergola and outdoor kitchen almost daily.

Adding the AGP was solid choice as the boss and I float and relax in it almost daily.

10640-albums2451-picture79976.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture79978.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture80454.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture80453.jpg

John

Wow, sounds like somebody needs a hug or two. And some TPFC love for the pool, too.
Just my three cents, but I tried very hard to find a house with a pool. It was much harder then you would think. Considering the swamp I ended up with, you know how important having ANY kind of pool was. Since it's been cleaned up, I've only spent about $30 on electricity and chems. Heck, I spend more than that going out to dinner, once.

We like to stay home and enjoy our house and neighborhood. We have young kids so we know that we will get many years of use out of a pool! The back porch gets a nice breeze almost all of the time and it is my quiet place where I like to sit in the evenings and relax. A pool and upgraded patio will just make it that much more enjoyable!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ouchita: I think it's good you put out your honest feelings. That's why people come to this site - to find honest answers. It's only natural that people who stick around are the ones who enjoy their pool. The other side needs a voice.

I know many people feel the same as you, because I had only one person who supported me. And they may have just been nice.

To everyone else looking for a perspective: I'm brand new to the pool experience, so I won't predict how I will feel 5 or 10 years from now. I THINK I will still love it - who knows. I've never been good at predicting the future.

What I knew for sure was that it was getting more and more difficult to have fun. And since I spent most of my life longing for a pool, I knew it would be a regret if I didn't seize the chance.
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

John: I can't stop looking at your plumeria. They are beautiful! Once I get life back on track, I'll be asking you lots of questions.

I've only had one, and it was a single tall trunk, or rather a stick with blooms on top. It was pretty, but not like yours!

Any suggestions where to get nice ones?
Thanks,
Suz.

Helen203, We are in same spot you are and kids similar age. We did just finish our pool, and to boot its not even at the house/city/ we work from (5hours away). Now our daughter does live in the house finishing her last year of college and its Planned to be our retire home ~5-10 yrs and we wanted to get a head start. Crazy heh. Who knows what could happen in between but we live and we love the pool plus it's HOT in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids are long gone, and now that I'm retired I use my pool more than ever. I do a morning swim and an afternoon swim every single day, I do laps during each swim as that's my main summertime exercise. The laps give me about 2 miles of swimming per week. The late afternoon swim greatly refreshes me for the rest of the evening. Love my pool.

GO COOGS!!!! '83

We are in mid 50's and just installed a IGP. No kids but tired of Houston heat and not being able to use our outdoor kitchen / bar in summer. I enjoy a dip after a morning run to cool down

!

I'm sorry you feel that way Nancy!

We went AGP to insure we would actually use it enough to justify the cost of a IGP. WE had already built and use the Pergola and outdoor kitchen almost daily.

Adding the AGP was solid choice as the boss and I float and relax in it almost daily.

10640-albums2451-picture79976.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture80454.jpg

10640-albums2451-picture80453.jpg

John

Our kids were young enough at the time we built (10 & 12) to get some good years of heavy use as my DW is home with them. I still feel guilty about how much we spent on it but 1) it looks great, 2) we use is a lot ourselves and 3) we have a lot of people over to share in it's use. So the memories and time with friends and family are invaluable. But the money part is just from my upbringing and will never go away.

I'm sure that we will continue to use it once the kids are out (and we aren't going anywhere) but one friend who's kids have moved out did say to me, 'you should have talked to me before building that'. I would not have built an IG pool if I didn't want it for myself too.

John we did the same; installed a AGP for a season to see whether or not we would use it and if the monthly costs would be worth it. After a season of using the AG for us doing the IG was a no brainier. If someone is on the fence whether or not to put in a IG I highly recommend. Between preparing ground, the pool, chemicals etc. for the season we maybe spent $800 (got a used one season pool of CL), money well spent to determine whether or not we would use the pool.

@jtburf - Is that a Stumps smoker I see?

Whether or not you will get a lot of use out of your pool long-term I think depends on your pre-pool lifestyle. For us, we already spent more time outside than any of our friends or neighbors and had done a lot of work to make it a more enjoyable space (pergola, sliding electric gate to open up the space, misters, fans, outdoor speakers, etc). Therefore, building a pool was a natural extension for us. I think the people who regret building pools are the ones who never spent a minute outside in the first place.

BTW, I'm jealous of these outdoor kitchens posted on here. Grilling/smoking food is one of my passions, but we don't have a ton of room to do a proper outdoor kitchen.

Whether or not you will get a lot of use out of your pool long-term I think depends on your pre-pool lifestyle. For us, we already spent more time outside than any of our friends or neighbors and had done a lot of work to make it a more enjoyable space (pergola, sliding electric gate to open up the space, misters, fans, outdoor speakers, etc). Therefore, building a pool was a natural extension for us. I think the people who regret building pools are the ones who never spent a minute outside in the first place.

BTW, I'm jealous of these outdoor kitchens posted on here. Grilling/smoking food is one of my passions, but we don't have a ton of room to do a proper outdoor kitchen.
I agree, we're outside people (yes, here in Vegas), like you I enjoy grilling/smoking, having a few adult beverages, entertaining outdoors etc. and for us it was a natural extention of who we are. Outdoor kitchen is next year and I'm getting some great ideas from this thread! BTW, love the name "BeerGuy"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.