Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So why are you building a pool NOW??

1. Back To Top    #1

So why are you building a pool NOW??

This is a question we immediately got from PB#5 yesterday, but we've heard it before!

Our kids are sorta "all grown up", 20-23, college fees are all addressed in the budget, and we have enough to splurge on a pool. And I won't have to watch the pool for little kid-friend activities.

What am I missing -- is this a bad idea??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So why are you building a pool NOW??

I think the PB is wondering what took you so long??

Skippy and I truly regret not having put in a pool much earlier in our kids lives. I bet we'd have seen our kids and their friends far more...a good thing!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

We got asked the same question - but each time from the PB it was to help determine what features they might need to consider. Kids, no kids, super athletic, lap pool, diving pool, or laid back social pool. They all quickly realized we wanted a place to float and drink and socialize. (btw - we have no kids - unless you consider my husband - he acts like a child often enough!)
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

I use our pool/backyard the most out of anyone in my family. It is my get away cool off place from work. It is my sanctuary from all the craziness in life. That is why I would build one at a different house regardless of how old my kids will be in the future.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I always wanted a pool. It took decades and retirement for me to finally do it. I think the PB's were a little surprised I wanted to build one with no grandkids. But... they wanted my money, so they didn't question it for long! Lol!

I say go for it and have fun!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

We don't have an in ground pool at our home but the pool we do have fits us right now. Hubby did not want a pool but he uses the pool more than I do. Our new retirement home will have an in ground pool or I will have one built so he can float and my grandbabies can swim and play with me.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

A pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. I wish I had put in an above ground so that when my kids leave I could have it hauled off. A nice outdoor kitchen/fireplace/pergola would have been better for resale and relaxation at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention usable for more than 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Sorry. Somebody had to be the negative Nancy.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita View Post
    A pool is a hole in the ground you pour money into. I wish I had put in an above ground so that when my kids leave I could have it hauled off. A nice outdoor kitchen/fireplace/pergola would have been better for resale and relaxation at a fraction of the cost. Not to mention usable for more than 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I'm sorry you feel that way Nancy!

We went AGP to insure we would actually use it enough to justify the cost of a IGP. WE had already built and use the Pergola and outdoor kitchen almost daily.

Adding the AGP was solid choice as the boss and I float and relax in it almost daily.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita View Post

Wow, sounds like somebody needs a hug or two. And some TPFC love for the pool, too.
    Just my three cents, but I tried very hard to find a house with a pool. It was much harder then you would think. Considering the swamp I ended up with, you know how important having ANY kind of pool was. Since it's been cleaned up, I've only spent about $30 on electricity and chems. Heck, I spend more than that going out to dinner, once.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

We like to stay home and enjoy our house and neighborhood. We have young kids so we know that we will get many years of use out of a pool! The back porch gets a nice breeze almost all of the time and it is my quiet place where I like to sit in the evenings and relax. A pool and upgraded patio will just make it that much more enjoyable!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Ouchita: I think it's good you put out your honest feelings. That's why people come to this site - to find honest answers. It's only natural that people who stick around are the ones who enjoy their pool. The other side needs a voice.

I know many people feel the same as you, because I had only one person who supported me. And they may have just been nice.

To everyone else looking for a perspective: I'm brand new to the pool experience, so I won't predict how I will feel 5 or 10 years from now. I THINK I will still love it - who knows. I've never been good at predicting the future.

What I knew for sure was that it was getting more and more difficult to have fun. And since I spent most of my life longing for a pool, I knew it would be a regret if I didn't seize the chance.
    Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

John: I can't stop looking at your plumeria. They are beautiful! Once I get life back on track, I'll be asking you lots of questions.

I've only had one, and it was a single tall trunk, or rather a stick with blooms on top. It was pretty, but not like yours!

Any suggestions where to get nice ones?
    Thanks,
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Helen203, We are in same spot you are and kids similar age. We did just finish our pool, and to boot its not even at the house/city/ we work from (5hours away). Now our daughter does live in the house finishing her last year of college and its Planned to be our retire home ~5-10 yrs and we wanted to get a head start. Crazy heh. Who knows what could happen in between but we live and we love the pool plus it's HOT in Texas.

Free form | 14k gal | 81 pf | 3.5' - 5' - 4' | Dolphin M500 | intelli FLO VS 3 hp | heat pump ultra temp hp 90 | quad 60 DE | ic40 swcg | Aqua blue mini pebble | 5g LED

13. Back To Top    #13

My kids are long gone, and now that I'm retired I use my pool more than ever. I do a morning swim and an afternoon swim every single day, I do laps during each swim as that's my main summertime exercise. The laps give me about 2 miles of swimming per week. The late afternoon swim greatly refreshes me for the rest of the evening. Love my pool.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

GO COOGS!!!! '83

We are in mid 50's and just installed a IGP. No kids but tired of Houston heat and not being able to use our outdoor kitchen / bar in summer. I enjoy a dip after a morning run to cool down

!

Quote Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way Nancy!

We went AGP to insure we would actually use it enough to justify the cost of a IGP. WE had already built and use the Pergola and outdoor kitchen almost daily.

Adding the AGP was solid choice as the boss and I float and relax in it almost daily.

John
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Our kids were young enough at the time we built (10 & 12) to get some good years of heavy use as my DW is home with them. I still feel guilty about how much we spent on it but 1) it looks great, 2) we use is a lot ourselves and 3) we have a lot of people over to share in it's use. So the memories and time with friends and family are invaluable. But the money part is just from my upbringing and will never go away.

I'm sure that we will continue to use it once the kids are out (and we aren't going anywhere) but one friend who's kids have moved out did say to me, 'you should have talked to me before building that'. I would not have built an IG pool if I didn't want it for myself too.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jtburf View Post

John we did the same; installed a AGP for a season to see whether or not we would use it and if the monthly costs would be worth it. After a season of using the AG for us doing the IG was a no brainier. If someone is on the fence whether or not to put in a IG I highly recommend. Between preparing ground, the pool, chemicals etc. for the season we maybe spent $800 (got a used one season pool of CL), money well spent to determine whether or not we would use the pool.

@jtburf - Is that a Stumps smoker I see?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

17. Back To Top    #17

Go coogs
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Rphpool: I wish my inside kitchen and living area looked as good as your outdoor areas!! Beautiful....
    Suz.

19. Back To Top    #19

Whether or not you will get a lot of use out of your pool long-term I think depends on your pre-pool lifestyle. For us, we already spent more time outside than any of our friends or neighbors and had done a lot of work to make it a more enjoyable space (pergola, sliding electric gate to open up the space, misters, fans, outdoor speakers, etc). Therefore, building a pool was a natural extension for us. I think the people who regret building pools are the ones who never spent a minute outside in the first place.

BTW, I'm jealous of these outdoor kitchens posted on here. Grilling/smoking food is one of my passions, but we don't have a ton of room to do a proper outdoor kitchen.
    Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
    Whether or not you will get a lot of use out of your pool long-term I think depends on your pre-pool lifestyle. For us, we already spent more time outside than any of our friends or neighbors and had done a lot of work to make it a more enjoyable space (pergola, sliding electric gate to open up the space, misters, fans, outdoor speakers, etc). Therefore, building a pool was a natural extension for us. I think the people who regret building pools are the ones who never spent a minute outside in the first place.

BTW, I'm jealous of these outdoor kitchens posted on here. Grilling/smoking food is one of my passions, but we don't have a ton of room to do a proper outdoor kitchen.
    I agree, we're outside people (yes, here in Vegas), like you I enjoy grilling/smoking, having a few adult beverages, entertaining outdoors etc. and for us it was a natural extention of who we are. Outdoor kitchen is next year and I'm getting some great ideas from this thread! BTW, love the name "BeerGuy"
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast