Unsure about what to do after I back washed to waste.

Aug 5, 2015
rowlett/tx
I'm new at maintaining pool. This was my husband's task; he passed away so I'm trying to manage this myself without employing someone to do it for me. I think I have algae so rather than simply backwash I backwashed to waste. However, I didn't add any DE powder after I had finished. The pool cleared--it appeared. However, 1.5 days later and pump has it looks like I never vacuumed; floor of pool needs cleaning againing. Should I add DE powder:confused:

MUCH more important is to first get one of the test kits we recommend (see in my siggy line) and we need full details about your pool, its surface and equipment. How are you currently chlorinating the pool- can you get some liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") in there to at least stun some of the algae while waiting for your test kit?

If you vacuumed to waste you bypassed the filter so presumably didn't lose any DE in the process would imagine. Is it a DE filter or did you add DE to a sand filter?

Please start reading the Pool School articles which deal with "How do I..." which can be found at the top righthand side of this website.

Bring back any more questions and lets work together to get this pool in line :)

Welcome wnorm51, and I'm truly sorry for your loss,

I am a newbie here too, and I was doing most everything Wrong and had no clue myself so I too am trying to figure it all out so We can just learn together. I can help you on some of the details.

It sounds like you might also need to SLAM the pool, but I will leave that determination, and those bigger details to the pros on this site who will be along shortly.

But I promise you, you have come to the right place for help. You will learn so much by being here. :)

Some of the things they will need from you when they arrive is for you to have your signature filled out already. Here is a link that describes how to do that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

To fill out your signature Go to the Link on the left side of that page you will see Bold tabs that says My Messages, My Subscriptions, then My Settings- Edit Signature is in that column. Just click it and fill in the needed information.

Also if you have a full set of chemical readings they will also be needing those too, but for now back to the Backwash to Waste Issue.

To clarify anytime you backwash it always goes to Waste. So did you mean you set your filter settings on top of your filter to the Waste setting, instead of the backwash setting? If so, all that does is dump your water if your levels get to high, but does nothing for cleaning your filter.

OR did you actually mean you Vacuumed your pool to waste (because the rest of the post makes it sound like this could have been what you meant?

Here are the how to's of both:
To backwash a filter you need to make sure your waste line is open if it has shut offs on it.

If the pump is running turn it OFF 1st before moving your lever to the Backwash position.

****ALWAYS SHUT YOUR PUMP OFF BEFORE MOVING YOUR FILTER LEVER TO ANOTHER POSITION:***

Restart the pump and allow to backwash for approx. 2 mins, You might Need to be adding water at this time too so your levels don't drop below the skimmer level during the backwash especially if your levels are now low from the earlier wasting?

STOP the pump again after the 2 min backwash

NOW turn it to Rinse, and run on rinse for approx. 1 min.

NOTE: RINSE will also cause water loss through the waste hose, so more water may be required to complete this?

STOP your pump again, and turn your filter back to FILTER position (ENSURING that any shut offs to your waste line are now closed back up if you opened them earlier).

Note: If your forget to turn the lever from waste, backwash, or rinse, it WILL drain a bunch of water from your pool, so don't forget to always switch it back to Filter.

When Vacuuming to waste: LOL you will think you need another 5 or 6 pairs of hands for this BUT you Can do this by yourself. *

*** I like to fill the pool up with water to a fairly high level before even starting because you will lose a lot of water vacuuming, but Vacuuming to Waste is so beneficial, and necessary to do Sometimes. I also like to brush the pool about 30 mins to an hour before vacuuming it BUT make sure it's done after the water is in because if not it will stir it up. Always brush down the walls and towards the middle of the pool.

To Vacuum To Waste:
1st have your pump running in the FILTER Position to prime all the air out of your vacuum line before beginning. Remove the Weir door, (that's the little flappy door on the skimmer), by raising it in the upward position, and pulling slightly upward. The weir door has little things on the side that you can push in to help release it.

Next place the swivel end of vac hose to vac head and slowly put the vac, and the hoses into the pool avoiding tangling them.

To get the air out of your vac line, WHILE holding your vac pole in hand, or mounting it somewhere with the vac head underwater (I hook mine over the swing set pole or use a tall Shepard's pole because once you start the water through it it is going to try to take off on you, but you can also just hook your arm around it as long as you keep the end underwater after removing all the air. lol it will feel like you have about 4 hands too few for this task but it does get easier over time).

To remove the air from the hose. Take the end of the hose that's not hooked to the vac and place it over where your return jet is sending water back into the pool. As the air is going out of the hose the VAC head will rise up in the water, and then sink back down once the air is out.

KEEP THAT LINE UNDER THE WATER and hook it to the vac plate making sure it is latched.

Turn off your pump that has been running in filter mode,

Turn your lever to WASTE mode ensuring that any shut offs are OPEN.

Quickly place the vac plate over the skimmer basket to prevent getting air in your filter and losing prime. *

***(Place the skim vac plate coming in through the backside of the skimmer not over the top of the pool.***

You know you have it placed over there correctly IF you have a good pressure reading on your gauge of at least 10psi or more and You will see the flow when vacuuming to waste but when Vac to filter you can ensure good suction because you have a good return coming from your return jet.

Vacuum your pool BUT ensure you don't allow your water level to drop below the skimmer level.

When done, turn off the pump, turn it to FILTER Position.

Remove your skimmer basket, and empty it.

Replace the skimmer basket.

Put your Weir door back on (I think it's easier to coming in from the back of the skimmer to place the door back on, but either way will work.

****Make sure the Weir door is on properly, and the pins are in the little grooves at the back of the skimmer, or it could stick and block the water flow to your pump.**

Make sure your Waste Lines are closed back.

Replace any water that needs to be replaced.

I hope this helps explain what you were asking. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and someone here will be able to help. Have a wonderful day :)

I'm confused. Based on posts I'm reading if I vacuum to waste I'm bypassing filter. Why/how did I loose DE powder if I didn't use filter? My filter is aix-positiion Vari-Flo Filter Control Valve. It's the Hayward Pro-Grid Vertical DE Filter Series, model DE4820.

Welcome wnorm51, and I'm truly sorry for your loss,

I am a newbie here too, and I was doing most everything Wrong and had no clue myself so I too am trying to figure it all out so We can just learn together. I can help you on some of the details.

It sounds like you might also need to SLAM the pool, but I will leave that determination, and those bigger details to the pros on this site who will be along shortly.

But I promise you, you have come to the right place for help. You will learn so much by being here. :)

Some of the things they will need from you when they arrive is for you to have your signature filled out already. Here is a link that describes how to do that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

To fill out your signature Go to the Link on the left side of that page you will see Bold tabs that says My Messages, My Subscriptions, then My Settings- Edit Signature is in that column. Just click it and fill in the needed information.

Also if you have a full set of chemical readings they will also be needing those too, but for now back to the Backwash to Waste Issue.

To clarify anytime you backwash it always goes to Waste. So did you mean you set your filter settings on top of your filter to the Waste setting, instead of the backwash setting? If so, all that does is dump your water if your levels get to high, but does nothing for cleaning your filter.

OR did you actually mean you Vacuumed your pool to waste (because the rest of the post makes it sound like this could have been what you meant?

Here are the how to's of both:
To backwash a filter you need to make sure your waste line is open if it has shut offs on it.

If the pump is running turn it OFF 1st before moving your lever to the Backwash position.

****ALWAYS SHUT YOUR PUMP OFF BEFORE MOVING YOUR FILTER LEVER TO ANOTHER POSITION:***

Restart the pump and allow to backwash for approx. 2 mins, You might Need to be adding water at this time too so your levels don't drop below the skimmer level during the backwash especially if your levels are now low from the earlier wasting?

STOP the pump again after the 2 min backwash

NOW turn it to Rinse, and run on rinse for approx. 1 min.

NOTE: RINSE will also cause water loss through the waste hose, so more water may be required to complete this?

STOP your pump again, and turn your filter back to FILTER position (ENSURING that any shut offs to your waste line are now closed back up if you opened them earlier).

Note: If your forget to turn the lever from waste, backwash, or rinse, it WILL drain a bunch of water from your pool, so don't forget to always switch it back to Filter.

When Vacuuming to waste: LOL you will think you need another 5 or 6 pairs of hands for this BUT you Can do this by yourself. *

*** I like to fill the pool up with water to a fairly high level before even starting because you will lose a lot of water vacuuming, but Vacuuming to Waste is so beneficial, and necessary to do Sometimes. I also like to brush the pool about 30 mins to an hour before vacuuming it BUT make sure it's done after the water is in because if not it will stir it up. Always brush down the walls and towards the middle of the pool.

To Vacuum To Waste:
1st have your pump running in the FILTER Position to prime all the air out of your vacuum line before beginning. Remove the Weir door, (that's the little flappy door on the skimmer), by raising it in the upward position, and pulling slightly upward. The weir door has little things on the side that you can push in to help release it.

Next place the swivel end of vac hose to vac head and slowly put the vac, and the hoses into the pool avoiding tangling them.

To get the air out of your vac line, WHILE holding your vac pole in hand, or mounting it somewhere with the vac head underwater (I hook mine over the swing set pole or use a tall Shepard's pole because once you start the water through it it is going to try to take off on you, but you can also just hook your arm around it as long as you keep the end underwater after removing all the air. lol it will feel like you have about 4 hands too few for this task but it does get easier over time).

To remove the air from the hose. Take the end of the hose that's not hooked to the vac and place it over where your return jet is sending water back into the pool. As the air is going out of the hose the VAC head will rise up in the water, and then sink back down once the air is out.

KEEP THAT LINE UNDER THE WATER and hook it to the vac plate making sure it is latched.

Turn off your pump that has been running in filter mode,

Turn your lever to WASTE mode ensuring that any shut offs are OPEN.

Quickly place the vac plate over the skimmer basket to prevent getting air in your filter and losing prime. *

***(Place the skim vac plate coming in through the backside of the skimmer not over the top of the pool.***

You know you have it placed over there correctly IF you have a good pressure reading on your gauge of at least 10psi or more and You will see the flow when vacuuming to waste but when Vac to filter you can ensure good suction because you have a good return coming from your return jet.

Vacuum your pool BUT ensure you don't allow your water level to drop below the skimmer level.

When done, turn off the pump, turn it to FILTER Position.

Remove your skimmer basket, and empty it.

Replace the skimmer basket.

Put your Weir door back on (I think it's easier to coming in from the back of the skimmer to place the door back on, but either way will work.

****Make sure the Weir door is on properly, and the pins are in the little grooves at the back of the skimmer, or it could stick and block the water flow to your pump.**

Make sure your Waste Lines are closed back.

Replace any water that needs to be replaced.

I hope this helps explain what you were asking. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and someone here will be able to help. Have a wonderful day :)

I was attempting to vacuum to waste and thought by moving the valve to 'waste' I was doing so.

I think we're getting terminology mixed up here. If you set the multiport valve to waste, no DE would've been lost and water from the pool would've been released. If the valve is set to backwash, it reverses the flow through the filter and blows the DE out. In both cases, the water will come out of the same place. I do vacuuming on the filter setting- not sure if that's right, but it's what I do....at least that's how it is on my filter.

Hi, welcome to TFP! We will help you learn how to manage your pool equipment, if you like. First we need you to add information about your pool to your signature. That way the information will show up in every post and it will cut down on the amount of questions we need to ask. To edit the signature, go to the upper right corner of this page. Under the oval Pool School logo you will see the word "settings". Click on it and it will pull up the settings page. On the left of that page in the 3rd box down is "edit signature". Click edit signature and put in the following information: Size of pool in gallons or dimensions and shape (12,000 gallons or 10x15 oval,rectangle, free form, ect) pool finish (plaster, fiberglass, vinyl liner, hybrid) city or well water to fill pool, pump brand and horsepower, filter brand and type (sand, cartridge, DE) chlorination method (manual, saltwater chlorine generator, stenner or liquidator pump) any additional features like fountains, spas, waterfalls, vanishing edge, automation ect.

As far as the DE filter goes, backwash will remove 50-75% of the DE in the filter. After backwashing you should recharge the DE with 75% of a full charge of DE. For example if your filter requires 4lbs of DE for a full charge, after backwashing put in 75% or 3lbs. You add DE by pre-mixing it in a bucket with some water to make a slurry and pour it into the skimmer with the pump running in filter mode.

Since you did not recharge the filter after the last backwash you may have debris in the grids. Backwash the filter again and recharge the filter with the correct amount of DE. The DE is what catches the dirt, so without enough DE in the filter a lot of dirt is getting back into the pool. You can either vacuum to waste or vacuum to filter. Vacuuming to waste discharges the dirty water out of the pool. Vacuuming to filter allows the DE to catch the dirt as the water is put back into the pool. When you vacuum to waste you will need to top off the water level and possibly re-balance the water. When you vacuum to filter you may fill the filter up which requires backwashing and recharging the filter. There are plus and minuses to both methods. Watch the pressure gauge on the filter and do a backwash when there is a 20% rise in pressure above the clean filter reading.

If you have any questions please ask. We are here to help!

I am very sorry for your loss.

Hello
You are correct. I do Not have a DE filter so I don't want to tell you wrong so I will let someone else help you with the DE question. But I know on the sand filter. If you had your Pump lever in the Waste position you were in fact vacuuming to waste, and bypassing the filter, therefore, should not be washing out anything (sand or otherwise) from inside of the filter. The only way under those circumstance that some of the DE might have been lost would have been if you ran it through the Backwash setting instead of the waste setting then yes DE would get flushed out at that point, and more would need to be added.

I think there is also a little confusion by a few as to what exactly you had your filter set on that's why I asked for a clarification in my statement about whether it was Backwashing to waste, or vacuuming to waste that you were referring to. By the title it appeared to be backwashing, yet in the sentence it was stated, "However, 1.5 days later and pump has it looks like I never vacuumed; floor of pool needs cleaning againing."

So with that sentence Vacuuming to waste is what I Assumed you actually meant, but needed to know for sure. Your title reads as, "Unsure about what to do after I back washed to waste." When I actually think what you meant was "Unsure about what to do after I vacuumed to waste." That's why I asked for a clarification so we could all make sure we were on the same page, and that you are being lead in the right direction. :)

But since I wasn't 100% sure which one you meant I went ahead, and listed the steps for both to try to help you to be able to continue moving forward until someone with more experience could come in, and let you know what you needed to do about the algae issue you suspect you are having too. Because that will have to be killed out to get your pool back to a healthy environment.

LOL so just hang in there, we will all get on the same page, and you will have your pool sparkling clean in no time. Once you get the proper test kit TF-100 (which is the best for the money because you get more solutions etc in this kit). The TF100 can be bought at [url]http://www.tftestkits.net/[/URL]

or you can purchase the Taylor K-2006 which can be bought on Amazon, EBay, and some other online places carry them, plus some of your local Pool Stores may also carry them. Make sure to get those name and # kits ONLY there are a lot of others out there, but they can't test in the ranges that you'll need to be testing in.

Once your kit arrives just do the tests as the instructions tell you, and list your current levels, you will be on your way to learning the best way, and IMO the only way you should ever be maintaining your pool. Have a Wonderful Day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm new at maintaining pool. This was my husband's task; he passed away so I'm trying to manage this myself without employing someone to do it for me. I think I have algae so rather than simply backwash I backwashed to waste. However, I didn't add any DE powder after I had finished. The pool cleared--it appeared. However, 1.5 days later and pump has it looks like I never vacuumed; floor of pool needs cleaning againing. Should I add DE powder:confused:
I've never seen any other option for a backwash other than to waste.

Are you confusing "backwash" with vacuum?

If you did indeed backwash you will need to add DE back into the filter. If you vacuumed to waste you did not lose any DE.

Dom

I've ordered recommended test kit -- TF-100 Test Kit. Meanwhile, on 8/5 I added super shock -- (3) one one pound bags; on 8/6 I added about a gallon of bleach. Today, 8/8, I added another gallon of bleach. Temperature here in Rowlett, Texas is a scorching 100+ degrees. Pool is exposed directly to sun all day. The condition of pool (dirt/algae??) is about the same. When pump is on and water is circulating water looks ok. When the pump is off and water settles, the debris on floor and some wall areas of pool appears to be somewhat yellowing--not deep yellow, yet. I can brush it towards main drain but it eventually settles to floor. I'm currently not running the polaris pool sweep--should I?

Hello.

I'm glad to hear you've order your TF 100 that will help you out a lot. As far as chlorine is concerned TFP does not recommend Bag shock of any sort to be use as they all contain Other ingredients that will throw off your other levels, build up over time, and can cause you a lot more problems down the road.

TFP recommends you use Bleach or Liquid Shock with the active ingredient of Sodium Hypochlorite Only for all your chlorine needs. typical % is 8.5, but some of the Liquid shocks, and bleaches will go up to 12.5%. The higher the % the less you have to use, and the less you have to haul, but at long as it's Sodium hypochlorite it will work and you can adjust the amounts per the Pool Math Calculator from the link at the top of the page based off of our CYA level- (The people here will of course help you learn to adjust them, will guild you in the right direction, and will be glad to answer any questions you have a long the way).

So your next steps are:

#1- Don't use anymore powdered shock.

#2- when you get your TF-100 test kit in, check your levels, and post them on here, so someone can help you get your SLAM started.
(FYI-USE the 10ml line on the chlorine, and any others that you can use the 10 ml line on because you will use less solution (reagents) than you would using the 25 ml line).

#3- As far as running the Polaris now, If there is stuff on the bottom that it, or the handheld vac can pick up then feel free to run it. BUT whether you run it now, or once the full Slam begins, I would recommend rinsing it out with the garden hose after each use at least for awhile at the beginning of the SLAM incase algae has gotten trapped in it, so you don't keep resubmitting algae back into your pool. Once slam begins you will need to brush the pool walls, bottom 1-2xs a day, and vacuum at least daily. The more you brush and vacuum the faster the Slam usually gets finished.

#4- Have a wonderful Night :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.