Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First pool, how long to run the SWG each day?

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool, how long to run the SWG each day?

Hi!

We just put our pool up, finished filling yesterday. I want to know how long does everyone run their SWG each day for a pool with about 13,200 gals of water? How about the filter? How long should that be running?

I've tested the water and here are my results

FC-4.5
    C-0
    PH-7.2
    TA-90
    CH-60

I know i need to adjust the PH and TA, could you please help me get these numbers to where they should be! Thanks!
    AG 24' by 52" (13,600 Gallons), Hayward vari-flo XL valve sand filter-S190TSCP, Hayward power-flo LX pump-1HP.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool, how long to run the SWG each day?

Enough to where it maintains you an Fc of about 4. Depends on the size of your cell mostly. We recommend one twice the size of your pool gallons a least.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

While you wait for general replies from other members, I thought you might want to see these pages if you haven't already:
    Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Hope this helps. Have a nice day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Basically, I set up my pump at the rpm that would be most efficient to cycle our water which requires about an 11 hour run time for me. Then I adjusted my SWG accordingly, which was 60% for our pool.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

5. Back To Top    #5

PH is OK and TA is fine. Maintain your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 and let your TA be what it wants to be, it is close enough to in-range.

What is your CYA level? That determines your target chlorine level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. It will take some experimenting to figure out run time and percentage. I'm at 60% and 8 or 9 hours right now. With 70 CYA and FC target of 9. And of course it is HOT and sunny here right now and we swim every day.

This is a great page to read, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't know the CYA yet, as we just filled the pool yesterday and there was none in the water, but I did add about 5lbs of CYA yesterday, via sock at the return. It was all dissolved by lunch today. So I guess next Tuesday I will know where it's at. But I'm thinking I need to add more cya.

AG 24' by 52" (13,600 Gallons), Hayward vari-flo XL valve sand filter-S190TSCP, Hayward power-flo LX pump-1HP.

7. Back To Top    #7

Poolmath is your friend. At the bottom is a section called Effects of adding chemicals. It says that 80oz will raise CYA 44 in 13, 600 gallons. That is a good CYA number for your location. Assume it is in there and chlorinate accordingly. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach