Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ad 1 gallon muriatic to 8500 gal pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ad 1 gallon muriatic to 8500 gal pool?

We have an 8500 gallon plaster pool with an algae problem.
    I am trying to manage the problem long distance with the guy who kindly takes care of our pool, but has limited knowledge of pool chemistry.
    We've tried algaecides, shock, bleach, etc and have not been able to get it under control.

We phoned a pool maintenance company and they have suggests adding 5lbs of pool shock and 1 gallon of muriatic acid, at the same time.
    This does not seem right to me.
    Never heard or read this suggesting for eliminating algae.
    Pool company claims it will clear it up instantly.

Once again, this is hard to manage long distance and we don't have the option to get second opinions as there is not a long list of pool companies.

Does anyone think this will work?
    And if it does, won't I have to bring the ph back up afterwards as surely a gallon in 8500 gallons will lower it drastically.
    I'm no expert either so any advice would be much appreciated!
    8500 gal in ground Plaster Pool. Manually Chlorinated, 1H Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Variflo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Ad 1 gallon muriatic to 8500 gal pool?

Maybe the biggest overdose I have ever seen posted on the forum. Run from that advice as fast as you can.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic acid and chlorine at the same time is a major no no.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi HugeAlgae, welcome. Where is the pool located? Do your helpers there have ready access to stores like a wal mart or home depot? How often are they able to access and tend to the pool? We can help you get the algae taken care of without needing "pool care people" but it will require some supplies and manual labor.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies! Pool is located in the Caribbean. Water temp is probably about 85-86. Only have access to one very small (and not very well stocked) pool store. I can get someone there daily if necessary.
    EDIT ADD ON...
    PS I agree, the MA amount seems extreme and I doubt it will solve the algae problem. He did tell him to put the shock in first so hopefully he told him to wait before adding the muriatic. Can anyone tell me why he would have even suggested this?
    8500 gal in ground Plaster Pool. Manually Chlorinated, 1H Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Variflo Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Do they have any decent quantity of liquid chlorine? Or again any type of general store that sells bleach?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, we have access to bleach.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by hugealgae View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Pool is located in the Caribbean. Water temp is probably about 85-86. Only have access to one very small (and not very well stocked) pool store. I can get someone there daily if necessary.
    EDIT ADD ON...
    PS I agree, the MA amount seems extreme and I doubt it will solve the algae problem. He did tell him to put the shock in first so hopefully he told him to wait before adding the muriatic. Can anyone tell me why he would have even suggested this?
    Because he does not understand pool chemistry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!