PH keeps changing, battling algae

I replaced 60% of my water to reduce cya in pool, which is another topic alone. Here is where I am now. I have been getting my water back in shape. I'm trying to get rid of algae. It WAS very green, I've been trying to get my pool to shock level to kill the algae. My numbers are
FC -22
CC- 0
TC-22
PH-8.2
T/A- 120

Yesterday it was
FC- 15
CC-0
TC-15
PH-7.8
T/A-100

Seems each time I add more chlorine my ph goes up. Not sure what to do. My water is clear now, no green, just have what appears to be mustard algae on bottom of pool, looks like dust on bottom of pool, can sweep it and it goes away just to be back in the morning. I have been trying to get rid of it since last season, just didn't know to keep my chlorine up high enough to kill it until I found this site last season. I wanted to get a jump start on this season to get my pool in order for summer. We can usually swim in mid april to mid may at the earliest in mississippi. Any help as to what is going on would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lanice

Hi Lanice,

What is your CYA level? We can't tell if you are reaching shock level without it.

pH reads a false high when FC is above 10ppm or so. Wait until it drops and then test it.

Do you use skimmer socks? That could be a big help clearing your pool. Also, brush, brush, brush!

Are you running the filter 24/7?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been extremely busy with work. I will ignore the ph readings while I have my FC high, We have had quite a bit of rain in the last few days 3+ inches and I haven't been able to test due to work and weather but today my numbers are
FC-10
TC-10
PH-7.5
TA-100
CYA-55

I plan to add bleach today to get my FC up to 34 which is my shock level and will brush, brush, brush.
Also, I have another problem which could affect my problem. I don't have a skimmer sock, what would work for that, would panty hose? Also, my water doesn't seem to be filtering as fast as it once did. I mean there is a lot of bugs and debris floating on the surface of the water that would normally get into the skimmer basket. This was occurring last season as well. I thought it just may be my imagination. But it seems to be this year as well. Others have commented on it as well, the kids complaining about so many bugs etc on the water. What could be causing this? Could it have some affect on the filtering of my water to help with the algae control? Could my filter possibly not be functioning as it should? I have never changed my sand. The pool has been in opperation 5 years old. My pressure gage quit working last year as well so I do not know my pressure. Any advice is appreciated. THanks!
Lanice

lanice said:
Could my filter possibly not be functioning as it should? I have never changed my sand. The pool has been in opperation 5 years old. My pressure gage quit working last year as well so I do not know my pressure. Any advice is appreciated. THanks!
Lanice
It is possible. First get a new gauge. They are really cheap. In my area they can be had for under $10 and they just screw right in (with a bit of teflon tape on the brass threads.)
Second, you might want to try cleaning your sand. Read my post in this thread for how to do it:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.