Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine out of whack...I think.

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine out of whack...I think.

Hello All,

First off, thank you all at TFP for this invaluable site. I reference it all the time for all manner of things from testing, to chemical balance to pool product information. As a first time pool owner in my first season, I couldn't handle my pool without this resource.

Here are today's test results:

Ph - 7.5
    TA - 60 ppm
    FC - 10.4 ppm
    CC - 0.2 ppm
    CYA - 40
    CH - 30

I can't figure out why my FC is so high and my CC is so low. My pool gets used almost every day by my two kids and most of the kids in the neighborhood. I have a few small leaks so between that and evaporation I add about 150 gallons of fresh water daily.

Pool water is crystal clear and there don't appear to be any issues but these chlorine results seem out of whack, don't they?

I use liquid bleach and occasionally TriChlor pucks to maintain my CYA levels or to cover me when we're away from home. I just want to make sure I don't get a sudden algae bloom when my back is turned.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
    In Ground 17,500 Gallon Freeform Vinyl Liner - Hayward S220T Sand Filter - Hayward Super II Pump - Kreepy Krawly Kruiser Cleaner
    If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife that there's no way we're buying a house with a pool, I'd have enough money to install the pool that came with the house we bought!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine out of whack...I think.

Okay.....How much Liquid bleach are you using? how many pucks? How much sun?

Have you checked your fill water?

Are there pucks in the feeder? Maybe someone put some in there without telling?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Liquid bleach added as per TFP Calculator recommendations. Not too much, though. Maybe a gallon a week. I'll throw 3 pucks in the chlorine feeder every 2 weeks or so. Direct sun from about 8:00 a.m. 'til 4:00 p.m.

As for fill water, what would I check for?
    In Ground 17,500 Gallon Freeform Vinyl Liner - Hayward S220T Sand Filter - Hayward Super II Pump - Kreepy Krawly Kruiser Cleaner
    If I had a dollar for every time I told my wife that there's no way we're buying a house with a pool, I'd have enough money to install the pool that came with the house we bought!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you levels look pretty good to me...you could let your FC drop a little. You will waste a small amount of FC at your current level, but I see no major issues! Just get in and swim!

I do recommend that you stop using the pucks! Use them when you are out of town or on vacation. Just dose with bleach and test until you get a good idea of your FC consumption. I would target a FC of 7 ppm.

Reading you post again I see you are losing some water, so maybe the pucks are OK after all.
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

You sound a bit concerned that "CC is so low" - low CC is a good thing - is there a reason you are concerned about the .2 CC measurement?

As for why your FC is high, you're in the best position to figure that out since you're the one putting chlorine in the pool... Not trying to sound facetious...

Any chance the pool volume is smaller than you have been assuming? Since your pool is free-form, it would be more difficult to calculate volume accurately.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jaduck View Post
    Reading you post again I see you are losing some water, so maybe the pucks are OK after all.
    That's why I've been using them and not worrying about exceeding the recommended CYA levels.

As for the CC, shouldn't that be higher? Like in the 0.4 to 0.5 range?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

No really CC should be 0. you don't want it get above 0.5 That signals a problem sometimes.

Remember CC is the 'used' chlorine. So a 0 means the water is pretty clean.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    Any chance the pool volume is smaller than you have been assuming? Since your pool is free-form, it would be more difficult to calculate volume accurately.
    That may very well be. I'll re-check the measurements and see if I'm overestimating the volume. Pretty sure I'm close but want to make sure.

Thanks.