Day 4 of SLAM..2 green clouds of algae edition..impeller issue?

nyvram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I vacuumed my pool to waste last Friday and topped the pool of with fresh water prior to starting SLAM.

I also emptied the pump basket.

Since Sunday I've mainly netted the bottom of the pool and had the drain valve cranked on high. I've also kept a close eye on the sand filter pressure never allowing it to get more than 1-2psi higher without backwash.

Today the pool looked amazing.. Sparkling but had the usual overnight debris so I decided to vac to pump basket and empty that.

I took out the pump basket and it didn't seem to have too much debris...but when I turned the pump back on both jets shot out huge foul clouds of algae.. I wanted to cry.[emoji24] [emoji33]

My FC level is still 2-3 above SLAM so Im on there but now I'm concerned about my impeller.

I've seen those clouds in the past when the impeller wasn't turning and had a rock wedged in it but I've been so careful... most of the problem was that my pump basket was brittle and breaking apart allowing debris into impeller but I replaced it with a brand new pentair OEM basket.

Do I have a fragile impeller? What would cause those green clouds.. And more important.. What can i do to detect the impeller might not be running before all that algae builds up in the PVC pipes?

Help! Is this normal or so I have an undiagnosed problem with my pool pump.

FYI its been running 24/7 for weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

:( i'm guessing nobody has any thoughts on this. i hate to have to get a pool guy to come out but i might have to get someone..these 'algae clouds' are troubling.

Hang on in regards to the pool guy. Doesn't sound too troubling.

You should always know if your pump is running by water movement from the returns in your pool. If you have had water movement, your pump has been fine. You said you had pressure in your Sand filter....well that's another indicator that your pump was running.

My suspicion is that when you shut the pump off to clear the basket, the water drained out of the sand filter (air gets in when you take the pump basket seal off). This allowed whatever was floating on top to settle into the sand. When you restarted all that, the new water refloated the algae and it went out to the return. Next time, if you have a multi-valve, try rinsing your filter, before going back to the returns.

Well we had torrential rain all night.. The bad news is that screwed up my FC readings plus dumped about 50lbs of leaves into my pool.

The good news is my pool is way over the correct level so I can vacuum stuff to waste and that should be good clean water that was added.. I hope. :/

I literally filled up the net twice with leaves that had settled on the bottom and the skimmer box looked like someone had emptied entire bag of leaves into it.

I think the rain has finally stopped so I'm hoping to get this back on track today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.