Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump went out. Motor still runs. Help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Pump went out. Motor still runs. Help please

So, had repair company come out to look, just for that we owe $125.00, have home warranty, they will cover $500.00 of the expenses, the quote for repair is $800.00 and now they've decided to add 3% to the bill for credit card use. Any suggestions? We've been told the motor and pump are older and the replacement pump can't be found. I'm sorry, I'm at work and don't have the name of the brand with me.
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump went out. Motor still runs. Help please

Sounds like a deal. New pump installed for $300. Hope it will be at least a 2-speed. Also bigger isn't better.
    Pool School - Pump Basics
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

When you get the pump brand/model, Post it, maybe others have that pump and know common things that go wrong with it.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Jonette2 View Post
    and now they've decided to add 3% to the bill for credit card use. Any suggestions?
    Yeah, after you pay the bill, report them to the CC company. I believe that is against all CC company policies (maybe even laws)
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, it can sound like a good deal for 300. But it's reimbursement. The insurance says it will take 30 days to get the 500 they are paying, so we get to carry that for a bit.
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

6. Back To Top    #6

It would be good to know what their going to replace it with. It really should be a quality pump for that price not an off name or such. But your not in a great position to negotiate, but it's worth a try. Check their pump cost with what you could find on-line to keep them honest.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

It should be noted that the motor runs fine, the pump just doesn't work.

8. Back To Top    #8

As far as the fee, I am pretty sure it is legal. We just went through that, I had checked with my CC company.

During our negotiations, it was not discussed, and in fact, it wasn't on our original contract. On an updated contract, the below statement was added. (highlighted because I used the same image in my email in our situation). The builder had changed their policies while we were on the waitlist.
    Capture2.jpg
    21' Revelation AGP ~10,500 gal, Pentair SD60 Sand Filter w/ 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump, TF-100 Kit
    Installed 07/25/2015 with city water.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pump is pretty much just an impeller mounted on the shaft. Should be parts available. Can you provide a y picture or two.

10. Back To Top    #10

I will take pictures when I get home. At this time they are quoting for a Hayward pump and motor $638.00 not including travel time or labor. They are saying the time they have in so far is 1 & 3/4 hours and their rate is $85.00 an hour.

11. Back To Top    #11

See if the warranty company will pay out the amount, order the pump and put it in yourself or have a local electrician put it in. I recently had American Home Shield pay me for a heat pump repair so I could get the contractor of my choice to make the repair.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

12. Back To Top    #12

They just quoted total, $1100.00

13. Back To Top    #13

That better be for a VS (variable speed) pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

15. Back To Top    #15

That extra fee is NOT lega
    A lot of small merchants and contractors are doing that, legal or not. They do it to offer a competitive cash bid with credit as a "convenience".

If it's bothering the OP, I suggest he add it to the parts line so the insurance company won't try to be sneaky and deduct it.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

16. Back To Top    #16

Yeah, our own local gov't charges fee for credit card use paying utilities, licensing etc...
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

17. Back To Top    #17

There are ways to charge a fee, if certain conditions are met. I can't see how this transaction reaches that level. Folks are doing this because customers allow them.

Back to the problem. If the motor runs and the pump doesn't pump, either the shaft has broken, the impeller has sheared a key or the threads.... or rarely, but I have seen it happen..... the motor has malfunctioned and has run (or is running) backwards.... unscrewing the impeller and/or is trying to suck rather than pump.....

18. Back To Top    #18

We have a home warranty for an extra $150 a year to include our pool because I knew the pump bearings were on their last legs. We had our entire pump replaced this year under the warranty because they could not get replacement parts for the old pump. We have a nice Pentair WhisperFlo now. I won't add the extra $150 for the pool next year since I have a newer heater and pump now. We have made out pretty good over the last 4 years with this home warranty. I'm still waiting for our two A/C units to fail to get them replaced before I won't use the warranty anymore.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

19. Back To Top    #19

What did they install?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    We have a home warranty for an extra $150 a year to include our pool because I knew the pump bearings were on their last legs. We had our entire pump replaced this year under the warranty because they could not get replacement parts for the old pump. We have a nice Pentair WhisperFlo now. I won't add the extra $150 for the pool next year since I have a newer heater and pump now. We have made out pretty good over the last 4 years with this home warranty. I'm still waiting for our two A/C units to fail to get them replaced before I won't use the warranty anymore.
    Home warranty companies make money. Don't be fooled into thinking you're getting something for free.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast