Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Clear is Clear Supposed to Be?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Clear is Clear Supposed to Be?

So tonight in honor of National Night Out I floated in the pool for awhile (until the mosquitoes drive me out) and made a discovery. The water I thought was clear, doesn't seem to be clear enough to see across the pool underwater.

Is this feasible for a pool my size, or am I dreaming?

Here it is this morning, looks clear from the top. Lost 0.2 ppm of FC last night and 0.6 the night before.

Intex 18' x 52" AG with Sand Filter Pump & SWG (Model ECO15110) about 7,600 gallons tested with a K-2006-SALT.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How Clear is Clear Supposed to Be?

We usually say "Can you tell heads or tails on a quarter in the deepest part?" Since you are above ground, I would add, "While standing on the ladder"
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I would submit "yes" you should be able to see the length. I have a 40', and I can see extremely well down the length of my pool with goggles. I have no doubt for the clarity I could see much further if my pool was longer. Might need to look at two things: filtration (last time cleaned/backwashed, etc) or organics in the water which may be waiting on the opportunity to explode into full-bloom.

Perhaps consider posting a full set of numbers for is to review for you? And even though you appear to have done an OCLT, did you also ensure the following:
    When performing the OLCT, remember that if must be done when the sun has dropped no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if its only 1 ppm.
    Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I can see very well underwater from one end to the other (34'). I can also see the heads on the screws on the main drains in the deep end when standing on the deck (8' deep).
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you wearing a mask? Do you normally wear glasses?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Ha, yeah! That is my story! I can't see clearly across my pool in or out without my glasses on! I haven't tried putting my glasses on and going underwater for a look. Need to try that. But, it is a very clear blurry view across my pool underwater. I can't imagine my water being any clearer than it is. I have water pics in my build thread in sig.

Your water looks great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Any adult beverage?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by EVChargeGuy View Post
    Any adult beverage?
    Ha, not at that time, but shortly after!

I guess I need to clarify. I'm not using googles, don't wear glasses, and it's more of a haze or fog.

I'll try the quarter test this afternoon, and put goggles on. Just expected to be able to see more clearly.

Intex 18' x 52" AG with Sand Filter Pump & SWG (Model ECO15110) about 7,600 gallons tested with a K-2006-SALT.

9. Back To Top    #9

The water/eye interface acts as a lens. Some people see better under water than they do out of the water. Some can't see well at all in the water. I can see perfectly in the pool with a mask on, but not so well when I surface.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Just my .02 dollar. Could it be the salt water? I can't see very far underwater, in my gin clear,extra sparkly water.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Well last night with googles on I could see everything. And it was tails on the quarter from the top of the ladder.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by john.esher View Post
    Well last night with googles on I could see everything. And it was tails on the quarter from the top of the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I called tails! You're buying the next round!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

Whoot!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach