Adding bleach to pool while using a swg

Mar 15, 2009
We have an Aqua Rite salt water generator that was installed in October 2004. From time to time, we have used the BBB method to balance our water while the pump was running and our salt water generator was running.

We believe our cell may have gone out, and we have a service person coming to look at it. My husband mentioned to the service person (a rep who does work for Goldline) that we use bleach sometimes and the rep stated that we should not use bleach with a salt water generator.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks for any input.

Welcome to TFP!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using bleach with an SWG. It is the same as using chlorinating liquid, except not as strong so you need to add more to get to the same Free Chlorine (FC) level. ALL sources of chlorine added to water produce the same identical chlorine in the water. The only differences are in concentration of chemical (i.e. how much you need to add) and whether the chemical adds anything extra to the water. For example, Trichlor and Dichlor increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) while Cal-Hypo increases Calcium Hardness (CH).

Did the person give any specific reason as to why using bleach is a problem with an SWG?

Richard

Thanks so very much to everyone for the quick responses! I love this forum! So much valuable information! I did not see anything in everything that I had read that said you couldn't or shouldn't use bleach while the chlorine generator was operating, but the fact that the service rep questioned it made me question myself.

Spishex, you are probably right. Maybe he was questioning why we were using it with an operating swg. I will get clarification when he comes by to look at our swg.

Thanks to all of you once again for your help! I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Candy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.