Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running a leaf gulper from the pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Running a leaf gulper from the pump

i have hard piped my intex pool and Hayward 1hp DE ec-40. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a hose bid and have enough pressure to run a leaf gulper? I vacuum but the leaf gulper is faster for big leafs and things and it would be nice to use w/o adding extra water.
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running a leaf gulper from the pump

Great question. I don't get enough leaves during the season, but usually end up with a ton that end up in the pool over the winter. I'd love to be able to do something like this a couple times per year.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What is a "leaf gulper"? Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Leaf.../dp/B002WKO8OK

A garden hose is connected to it, forcing the stream up into the bag. That creates a suction that pulls the leaves up into the bag. They work well, but they're a pain in the hoo-haa, and they can add a lot of water to the pool of you have a lot of leaves.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yep, I have seen them. I would think a big, heavy duty leaf net would be easier, quicker and maybe even cheaper if you already didn't own the gulper.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I used to have a hose bib connected to my 2 HP Anthony pump which provided enough pressure for a spa mini-vac:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R20114.../dp/B0002DK9Q0

I don't know if your 1 HP pump could provide sufficient pressure for a leaf gulper, but unless you have a ton of leaves in your pool, hooking it up to a hose shouldn't add a significant amount of water.
    22k gallon IG Anthony free-form pool and spa with PebbleSheen finish, Pentair WFDS-8 WhisperFlo Full Rated Dual-Speed 2HP pool pump, Sta-Rite S8D110 System 3 Grid D.E. 53 sq. ft. pool filter, Raypak R406A 399K BTU cupro-nickel propane heater, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with 3/4 HP PB4-60 booster pump, Goldline Aqua Plus controller and SWG, Inter-Fab G-Force pool slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

Might have a hose bib in the barn. I guess it would be easy to give it a try. I already have the leaf gulper. My dad had an extra.
    5061 gal AG Intex 16 x 48 Ultra metal frame installed 8/10/14. 1500 gph Intex Cartridge Filter Pump with over side skimmer. Intex SWG 7k gal. TF-100 Kit