Pool Water Level with Hayward Auto Skimmer?

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
We are in the middle of building an 36' x 18' Inground Vinyl Pool. The concrete pool coping was poured today and I noticed that the skimmer box was riding pretty low in the pool. When I measured the distance from top of concrete to the top of the skimmer inlet, it measured 8.5". The skimmer is a Hayward Auto-Skim series - here is the link to the manual, not sure which model but it is the wide mouth version - https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Series-Auto-Skim-SP1084-1085.pdf Doesn't there need to be an air gap to allow leaves/bugs/debris to enter the skimmer? Does this mean that the water level is going to be ~9" below the top of concrete?

Attachments

• 20150804_194157.jpg
    20150804_194157.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 74
Additional Information:
Coping is 4" thick, the 8" board is just holding the Rock Cut mold in place.
Also installing an Automatic cover which is probably why the skimmer is so low.

Pool To Be - Specs In Progress

Pool Type: Inground Vinyl
Pool Size: ~24,000 gal ~ 18' x 36'
Filter Type: Pentair FNS Plus 36 - DE Filter
Pump: Pentair Challenger - 1.5 hp
Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 250K BTU
Accessories: Hayward AquaRite SWG Controller, 3 Deck Jets, 2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights

Your water level is going to be about 11" below the top of the form if the top of the form is actually the top of the deck. My coping is about 1-1/2 inches thick so my water level is about 5 inches below the deck level. That sure does not look correct but I am not a pool builder. Any chance you could post a wider shot and a shot of the top of the form?

If no one else gets back to you tonight, in the morning I'll go measure the distance from the top of my coping to the middle of the skimmer and another measurement from the bottom of the coping to mid-skimmer. 11" seems excessive to me but the picture of the measuring tape held against the wood form is confusing: does the coping itself go as high as the wood form or is it some where below?

Thanks for your help. The top of the wood framing is the top of the coping. Hope this following picture helps clarify. Forms come off this morning, so I will update the photo without the forms, which should also help clarify. However, I do believe ComputerGuyInNOLA is right, the normal operating level in the pool will be ~ 11" below the top of coping

top of pool.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.