Polaris 280 problems

Jun 15, 2009
Could this be the problem why my 280 is moving so slow or not moving at all
472fb5715b0a08832203eb7776789fe2.jpg
. when I bring it out the water it does not have any rpms

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Certainly looks like a problem. I don't know if it's your contributing factor to it not working but that doesn't look good.

I'd look at the gears. Are they stripped when you pull it from the pool do the wheels move freely? Look for something jammed in the wheels.
Is your pump working?
Is the pump supplying a strong stream?
Wheels move freely, no jams, pump works fine and the flow is fine. I checked the hose, I checked the gears, I changed the pressure valve also

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Polaris 280 Troubleshooting | Pool Supply Sales

Read a few of these and see if they help. I recently replaced my back-up valve and the whole feeder hose and for good measure, the float. I also replace the tail.

You might get yourself a rebuild kit and you can really learn the guts of the 280.

The wheels are supposed to turn 28-34 rpms. Faster or slower is a problem. So mark a wheel and then time it. You may need to adjust the restricter in the line. It comes with a blue and red one. Or you may need to remove it. It all depends on the booster pump you are using. I have the Polaris PB4-60, which is 3/4 hp I believe and my feed line is 1". The pressure relief valve has the blue restricter in (the smallest opening I think) in order for the 280 to have the correct rpm range for my set up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.