Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spraying bleach on my bird cage

1. Back To Top    #1

Spraying bleach on my bird cage

I spent some time searching the archives about this, but no luck. If, however, someone can point me to an earlier post, I would really appreciate it.

I have persistent mold or algae (not sure which) on the aluminum posts that make up my bird cage. It's just part of living in a very warm and humid place, I think. My pressure washer doesn't help. If I use enough pressure to remove it, the slightest "miss" on my part cuts the screen. I've decided that chemicals are required.

Since this is over my pool, it seems logical to use bleach in a hose end sprayer. But I am not sure what concentration would effective, but also safe. By safe, I mean safe landing on the hedge and grass next to the pool, and more importantly, safe landing on me. My wife says not to worry about, but I think she likes a clean bird cage as much or more as she likes me

I thought that maybe some fraction of the shock level might be a guide, but decided that since this depended on the CYA level in the pool as opposed to what was in the bottle, it might not be such a good idea.

Would appreciate any guidance you all could offer.

Thanks, Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spraying bleach on my bird cage

I can't speak to the concentration, but... we used to use bleach on ours years ago. Haven't had the problem (yet) on my new cage.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spraying bleach on my bird cage

As a graduate of FSU in 80 and 84, I like your avatar! Thanks.
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage